/27/

Charlotte

I awoke to the peaceful sounds of birds and cicadas chirping outside my window the next morning. I opened my eyes to see the sun rising and casting a bright, cheerful glow on my carpet.

I yawned and pulled off the covers, getting up. I arched my back and threw my arms up into the air, doing a giant stretch.

Then, I got out of my pajamas and went into the shower, taking an extra long time washing my hair and my body.

After a while, I turned off the water, dried out, and wrapped my towel around me, walking back into my room.

I passed my cork board, full of pictures of my family and things I liked...and Cole.

I stopped to look at all the pictures of the two of us, remembering each time every picture was taken in my head; the time that Cole brought a metal detector to the beach and we spent the entire day searching for valuables hiding under the sand, the time when we went to a lobster cookout and the both of us raced to see who could finish as many lobsters as possible first, resulting in us both puking all night, all those late night movie theater, Starbucks, bowling, mini golf, and Halloween selfies.

I felt a familiar ache in my heart and realized once again how much I truly missed him. I'd almost forgotten my grief for him after I got kidnapped by Liam.

Just then, a knock sounded on my door, and I jumped slightly, turning away from the pictures.

"Come in." I called.

My door opened, and Tyler stood there.

"Hey, Char." He said.

I felt a tear slip down my face, surprising me. I quickly wiped it away before my brother saw. But it was too late. A look of concern passed over his face.

"Are you okay?" He asked.

I nodded, sniffling.

"Yeah, I'm fine. What's up?" I asked, clutching my towel.

Tyler gestured towards downstairs.

"Well, Harry is at the door looking for you. I told him you were in the shower, and now he's waiting out on the porch. I had to convince Mom to let him stay. I think she like, hates him now."

At the mention of Harry, I felt my heart speed up in my chest and my stomach did about a billion somersaults.

He was here to see me?

"If you want me to tell him to leave, I will, but-" Tyler started but I cut him off.

"No. I'll see him. Tell him I'll be down in 10 minutes." I said.

Tyler nodded.

"Okay."

"Thank you." I said as he left my room, shutting the door behind him.

I rushed over to my closet, flinging open the doors and frantically looking for something to wear. Should I dress nice? After what he confessed to me, I felt like I needed to impress him.

I decided on a longish tight fitting green olive colored long sleeved shirt, black leggings, and my worn out, lace up black combat boots.

I put some gel in my still wet hair and scrunched it around with my fingers, leaving it natural. Then, I put on light makeup, spritzed some perfume, and headed downstairs, my heart thudding in my chest with every step I took.

My brother was on the couch watching a college lacrosse game, my sisters were playing dolls quietly on the floor next to him, and my mom was at the kitchen table, looking at something on her phone, a distressed expression on her face.