/2/

pic: Cole aka Dylan O'Brian

a/n: this story takes place in mid-october and in these first two chapters, its the weekend lol

Charlotte

"Hey, Charlotte!" I heard the familiar voice of my best friend call as he let himself in my house the next afternoon.

I greeted Cole at the front door.

"Hey." I said.

I followed Cole into my kitchen and hopped up on one of the bar stools and Cole poured himself some apple juice he got from my fridge.

"Coley!" Brianna shouted as she ran into the kitchen and towards Cole.

"Hey, Bri! How's my girl?" Cole took Brianna into his arms and swung her around.

I smiled. Cole had such a good relationship with my sisters as well as my entire family, they treated him like he was a part of it.

As Brianna scurried away into another room, Cole turned to me, sipping his apple juice.

"So, what do you want to do today?" asked Cole.

I shrugged.

"We could...play a board game..or watch old episodes of Sailor Moon on Netflix...or research brain disorders and how they're-"

Before he could say another thing about brain disorders, I grabbed his arm and dragged him towards the front door, taking my purse off the couch before we headed outside.

"Or we could drive into town and do stuff there." I said.

"Yeah, I guess we can do that." Cole muttered as we headed to his car parked on the curb.

I saw him look towards the Creep House before he unlocked his car.

"Wow, that place really is creepy." He said, half to himself and half to me.

"Try living next to it." I joked.

Cole's eyes suddenly widened.

"Cole? What's-" I turned my attention towards the house and saw my new neighbor standing by his front door that was now open. He was wearing the same black sweatshirt from yesterday, with the hood up once again.

"Oh crap." I said quietly.

He stepped down off his porch and headed towards us.

While he was walking, his black hood came off and I saw his curly light brown hair that stopped at his shoulders. I found myself wanting to run my fingers through it.

That's when I saw his face. His skin wasn't too pale, but it wasn't too tan either, and he had pointed features with high cheekbones, and the most enchanting green eyes.

They landed on me and I felt like I was trapped, enclosed in a space with only me and him, and everything around me faded away.

His eyes got bigger and he swallowed hard as he looked at me, which kind of made me feel self-conscious because I wasn't really a sight for sore eyes, if you know what I mean.

"Can I help you, love?" He spoke now, and I felt my legs turn to jelly. He had a British accent, and his voice was raspy and hoarse and it was the greatest sound I've ever heard.

"Um, I, um..." I tried to get words out, but my mouth didn't seem to want to cooperate.

His eyes flicked from me to Cole, and I was finally able to talk as he stared him down.

"No, I-I live next door." I pointed to my house. "And me and my friend were just looking, there's no harm in observing right?"

He looked at me and narrowed his eyes, nodding.

"Fine. But don't get too close. This is my property now."

He turned on his heel and started to walk away.

"I'm Charlotte Winters, by the way." I blurted out after him.

He turned back around and looked at me again.

"Harry. Harry Styles."

*

Harry

I walked rather quickly back into my new house and shut the door hard behind me. I looked through the peephole and watched as Charlotte and her dorky guy friend get into the car and drive off down the street.

Charlotte. What a pretty name. She was beautiful. Not just on the outside, but on the inside as well. I could hear her heart beating in her chest, at a normal pace, but then extremely fast when I approached her. I could smell her blood, a sweet smell like flowers and honey.

I could feel my fangs ache just thinking about ripping open Charlotte's carotid artery and draining all of her blood from her body.

I closed my eyes, exhaled and opened them again.

But I couldn't kill her. Or talk to her again. Hell, I couldn't even go near her. I haven't had a taste of fresh, warm human blood straight from the vein in years and if I was around her for too long, I know I would kill her.

And I couldn't do that, because if I did, they would find me. They would know where I am, and they would track me down.

I moved over a hundred and fifty times since the early 1900's, and I wanted this time to be the last. I was tired of running. I was tired of hiding. I wanted to live my life in solitude.

But I just knew Charlotte was going to make my fantasy of a life in peace extremely hard to make real.