/19/

Charlotte

2 WEEKS LATER

It's been two weeks since everything happened. Two weeks since I found out Harry was a vampire, two weeks since Cole stopped talking to me, and two weeks since my dad left with his girlfriend, forgetting about his wife and his children.

Besides the downs of my life, Harry was the only thing that made my life a tiny bit better. Okay, a whole lot better. I've spent these past couple of weeks with him. Just the other day, we'd gone into town and gotten him a cell phone. I'd taught him how to use it, and now we texted and called each other. Harry filled the empty void that was usually Cole, and sometimes when I was with Harry, I forgot Cole was ever my best friend.

He told me everything about I ever needed or wanted to know about vampires; that garlic and holy water was a myth, that he can see himself in the mirror, vampires can't procreate, that getting burned by sunlight, lit on fire, or stabbed in the chest with a something called a white oak stake is the only way vampires could die, and a plant called hawthorn is fatal to vampires. Fatal as it could weaken them and burn them if applied to their skin, but not deadly.

I also realized that over time, Harry became more and more in control of his bloodlust. I could tell he was becoming more comfortable around me and he didn't think about my blood as much as he might have. He got blood bags from the hospital in town and went into the woods in our backyards to hunt animals, and everything was okay.

I was okay.

Today, I was heading over to Harry's just to hang out, keep him company. I walked across the grass to his house and knocked on the door. He didn't answer right away, like he normally did. I knocked again. And again. And again.

I pulled my phone out and started to text Harry.

Where are you?

Harry: Hospital getting blood bags. Be home in a minute.

I answered with an "okay" and put my phone back in my pocket. I decided to sit on the porch and wait for him. I sat down and sighed, looking at all the other old, antique houses on the cul de sac.

I saw a flash of color out of the corner of my eye and I glanced at a man in a gray sweatshirt with the hood up, his hands in the pockets, and he was staring at me.

My heart started beating rapidly in my chest and my breathing was growing faster and shorter. I watched as he continued looking at me, and I felt myself being unable to draw my eyes away from his gaze.

"Hey." I heard a voice say. I jumped up, startled. Harry was standing in front of me on the top step, holding his blood bags under his hoodie.

"You okay?" Harry asked me.

I ignored his question and stood up, trying to look over Harry at the man I just saw. But to my surprise, he was no longer there.

"Did you see that?" I asked.

Harry turned around to look where I was looking.

"See what?"

I pointed to where the man just was.

"There was a guy across the street just now, staring at me." I said.

Harry shook his head.

"There's nobody there, Charlotte. Come on, let's go inside."

I got up off the porch and we both went inside. Before Harry went in though, I saw him look across the street once more.

*