/9/

Charlotte

(A couple more days have passed)

"I'll be outside!" I called to whoever was listening, grabbing my book off the coffee table and opening the front door.

I sat down in one of the wicker chairs on my porch, opened my book and began to read, getting lost in the world of Meg, Jo, Beth, and Amy in Little Women.

What seemed like hours later, I heard the front door open again and I looked up to see Tyler coming out.

He smiled when he saw me.

"Hey, Char."

"Hey, Ty. Where are you going?"

"I'm going to Caroline's house, then we're going out for dinner to the Jade Garden. Want me to bring anything back for you?"

I guessed Caroline was another one of Tyler's girlfriends. He's had so many girlfriends, I could barely keep track anymore.

I smiled though, happy that he still remembered me even though he was going out with his girlfriend.

"I'm fine, thanks. Isn't Mom supposed to be cooking tonight anyways?"

Tyler rolled his eyes.

"Supposedly. I don't even know what she's up to right now, she's been up in her room all day. Dad still isn't back from when he went out this morning. He's probably getting drunk again." Tyler replied. He looked at me seriously now.

"This family is so fucked up, isn't it?"

I winced upon hearing his language and then shrugged.

"I guess, yeah." I answered shortly, not really wanting to get into the subject of our family.

"Yeah well, I have no idea what's going on with Mom and Dad, but whatever it is, they need to get it sorted out." said Tyler.

I nodded.

"Yeah." I agreed.

"Well, I'd better get going. See you later."

"See you." I called as Tyler unlocked his car, got in, and drove off.

I stared after his car fora moment, then went back to my book.

Before I could even start reading, I heard a voice.

"Hi, Charlotte."

I jumped a tiny bit, knocking my book to the floor. Just as I was about to bend down to get it, someone picked it up and handed it to me.

"Here." I looked up into the green eyes of Harry Styles and felt my heart flutter.

I slowly took the book from him and smiled faintly.

"Thanks. You scared me."

He smiled back, his white teeth shining.

"Sorry. I didn't mean to. Hey, what book is it that you're reading there?" He asked me, pointing to it.

I glanced down at the spine, all of a sudden forgetting what book I had.

"Little Women." I answered.

"A classic! I love the classics." said Harry.

I sat up straighter, suddenly interested. Harry liked to read?

"You do?" I asked with wide eyes.

Harry chuckled and nodded.

"Of course. Moby Dick, Tom Sawyer, Huckleberry Finn, Black Beauty...I love them all."

Now I smiled. All I ever read were classic books.

"Me too! But sometimes I get made fun of for reading them. Cole says I shouldn't read them. They're too 'old fashioned' and I need to live in the times. And people look at me weird sometimes in school." I said, then shrunk back in my chair. Why would I just admit all that to Harry?

He looked at me intently.

"Well, nobody should make fun of you just because you like something they don't. You're your own person, Charlotte." Harry said seriously.

"I-I know." I stammered.

I decided to change the subject back onto  him.

"Do you have your own books? Like, do you own all the books you read?"

"Um-well-I did, but..." Harry trailed off now, staring at his shoes.

"But what?" I pressed.

He shook his head.

"But nothing. I've got to go." And with that, he took off across my lawn and back to his house, slamming his door behind him.

I stood up, watching him go.

Did I say something to offend him? We were having such a civil conversation.

I guess Harry would make his appearances whenever he wanted, come out whenever he felt like it.

And I realized that I was okay with that.

                      *