/1/

photo: harry's house:)

Charlotte

I sat in the window seat overlooking the street, my favorite book in my lap, reading silently to myself.

I took advantage of these quiet times. Having whiny 5 year old twin sisters and parents who always argued really made it hard to focus.

"Hey, someone's moving in next door!" I heard my older brother Tyler announce as he bounded down the stairs.

Tyler was a senior, a year older than me, and was the exact opposite of me. He was popular, had tons of friends, played lacrosse, and had girls drooling at his feet. I, on the other hand, had one friend; a guy named Cole, played no sports, and had never had a boyfriend. I'd never even kissed a guy. I was lame, but I was okay with that.

"What? Someone's moving into the Creep House?" I asked.

"Yup." Tyler replied.

I placed my bookmark in my book and looked out the window.

Sure enough, there a U-Haul attached to a gray Toyota Corolla pulling into the Creep House. My entire family called the house next door the Creep House. One of my little sisters, Ashley, started calling it the Creep House as soon as she could talk and the nickname has stuck ever since. The house was old, looked about 3 stories high, and has been abandoned for years, it has been from before I was born. My dad would joke that there were ghosts in there and freak out my sisters, angering my mom.

She thought there were druggies who hung around there, so she told Ashley, my other little sister Brianna, Tyler and I to never go near that house. That was mostly directed towards Ashley and Brianna since they were smaller, but Tyler and I followed her rules and never set foot near that house or the woods that was basically our entire backyard and the Creep House's as well as the other houses on our street.

"I can't believe someone finally bought that piece of shit house." Tyler said, peering out one of the living room windows.

I watched as the car pulled into the driveway and someone got out of it.

I pressed my face to the window like a little kid as I tried to see what this person looked like.

It looked like a guy and he was wearing jeans and a black sweatshirt with the hood up.

He went around to the U-Haul and opened it, and started getting boxes out.

Tyler came over to my spot on the window seat and leaned over my body, taking my looking spot.

"Tyler! Get off!" I laughed while trying to push my brother off me. "I'm trying to see!"

"He looks like a pedophile." Tyler stated.

"You don't even know him, Ty." I said.

"You don't know him either!"

"Whatever. I'm going back upstairs." Tyler said, getting off of me and heading back up the stairs.

I looked out the window once more as the guy opened the front door to the Creepy House, going inside.

I stared out a while longer, then opened my book once more.

                        *
"So, I got a new neighbor." I held my phone between my ear and my shoulder as I got pajamas out from my drawer.

"You did?" asked Cole from the other end.

"Yep. The Creep House now has its first resident after, like, 16 years." I said.

"Someone moved into the Creep House? Damn, the person who bought that house must really be stupid."

I giggled and flopped down onto my bed.

"Do you know who the person is that moved in?" Cole asked.

I opened my bedroom window curtains above my bed and looked out the window at the Creep House. There was only one light on on the first floor.

"Um, I kind of got a quick glimpse of him earlier today. He was wearing a black hoodie and looked really tall, but I couldn't really see his face. He looked to be about our age too, maybe older. I'm not really sure."

There was a pause and a sigh, and I knew that Cole was pushing up his dorky black glasses.

"He was by himself? Where are his parents?"

"No clue. It didn't seem like he had any." I answered.

"Hm...well, don't get too close. He's probably a pedophile or some shit like that." Cole said.

I laughed.

"That's what my brother said."

"I'm not joking, Char! What person moves into an old, abandoned, creepy house alone? With no parents? What even happened to his parents?"

"Maybe he murdered them." I said in an eerie voice.

"That isn't funny." Cole said, but he was laughing.

"You still coming over tomorrow?" I asked him, changing the subject.

"Yeah, sure."

Cole and I talked about random things for another half hour or so, and then Brianna came barging in my room, whining about how I needed to put her and Ashley to bed.

I bid a goodbye and a goodnight to Cole and hung up the phone, following my sisters into their room they shared.

"Come on, get into bed." I said, and Ashley and Brianna hopped into their beds.

I tucked each of them in. As I pulled the covers up around Ashley's nose, I heard a loud crash come from outside.

"What was that?" asked Ashley and Brianna, sitting up.

I didn't answer them, I went to the window and looked out. I saw the one light on in the Creep House turn off.

I closed the curtain and turned back to my sisters.

"It was nothing, girls. Lay back down and go to bed."

They did as I said and shut off the light in their room and headed back to mine, getting into bed and wondering about the guy next door before falling asleep.