The young girl called Zella

Chapter ten

The young girl called Zella

Juliana who was intrigued by Rosa’s story didn’t realise that it was her own life story that she had been telling. She was surprised to find out that half the season had already passed without her even knowing about it, Juliana who was shocked but also tired of hearing a long story. Fell straight asleep without realising and laid her head on her arm, which was comfortably laid on the arm of the armchair silently sleeping. Drake stared a upon her then turned round, to look if Rosa was watching but found her also in a deep sleep. Sinking further into her chair as her elbow was on the arm of it, with her hand under her chin that was slightly sliding up her left cheek.

He silently pulled himself up from the chair that he and Juliana was sitting on, he made sure that each step he took didn’t make a sound. He was like a child that was sneaking behind his parents back to go sneak a toy, but in fact. He went an obtained his red cloak, that had been folded and hidden safely away from harm. For he could not bare to let any harm come towards as it, as it was the only thing that he had to remind him of his mother, instead of his memories of her when see was alive. As it was the same cloak  he had worn to escape from his home, that his mother had made him before she had died. He carefully unfolded it and put it around the peaceful sleeping Juliana, keeping her warm so she could not catch a single chill. The cloak itself proved as a useful blanket for when he had been travelling before he had meet Rosa, kept him warm through the chilliest and windiest of days when he had slept under a tree for shelter.

As he had set himself back down, on the opposite side of her. He heard Rosa’s voice say, “your still as kind and generous as ever like the prince you are”.

As she said this her eyes were closed but when Drake never said a word, she opened her eyes and asked. “Aren’t you going to ask me how Zella came into the story?”

Drake unsure of how to answer her question as it did cross his mind, he nodded slightly.

“Well,” she said “look into the fire as it tells no lies, look closely at it and you will see how it happened”.

She pointed into the fire and as he stared at it closely, without hurting eyes with its brightness. He saw the flames getting bigger until it swallowed his mind and took him slowly into the past of where it all began.

He saw the story from what Rosa had told them, he saw her and Martin together and how an odd couple they were. He saw his mother as a child on the streets when Martin had saved her, and the day she came to live with them. But then an image of a forest appeared, with a small girl with long combed black hair, and pale skin sitting on a gray smooth rock. Even as a child Drake could see the evil in her eyes, that gave him a cold chill down his spine. As he could see that she had always been evil, even at an early age and as an adult had only matured it. To something more terrifying behind a disguise that look quite innocent, and when she felt the need to torture. Her sweet gentle looks turned monstrous like a snake taking off its skin, to reveal her true evil self.

The next thing that happened was that the image had changed to where she was living with Rosa, Martin and his mother. Learning magic and potions from Rosa’s books, was more skilled then what his mother could ever be.

As if being pulled back through the visions of the past, he found himself looking directly at the fire. Wondering why the vision had ended so quickly and unfinished, he looked at Rosa and saw that she was very stressed.  As he was about to say something Rosa said suddenly, “at times I thought it was my fault that what I did years ago made all this happen. I knew deep down in my heart that something wasn’t right in the first place. But I didn’t think”.