Chapter Ten

Mia's POV
"What?" I whisper, looking down at the black silky comforter that covers Brayden's queen size bed. Why does he need such a big bed? I don't get it.

Brayden sighs, a deep exhale that I swear I can feel hit me from his standing position at the end of his bed. There's worry in his deep blue eyes as his gaze settles on my eyes. "I would be lying if I said I wasn't telling you the truth, Mia," he mumbles. None of this makes any sense.

"How did I not know he was tapping into my mind? How was he able to get into my head without me having a clue?" I interrogate him like he's the suspect of a murder. He must know the answers to my questions because who the hell would besides him?

His hands find his hair and then travel to his neck, one of his nervous reflexes, I'm guessing. I try to stop the heat rising to my cheeks when his navy blue t-shirt rides up and shows a sliver of his tan skin and v-line. My attempt fails. Oh my...

His arm drops slowly, teasingly, and I know he heard my thoughts, since a small smirk forms upon his lips. My blush reddens and I want to become invisible. I look away from him, looking at his blank walls, which must be blank because he moves so often.

Why does he move so often? If I asked-again-would he shoot me down and kick me out of his home? Why won't he tell me? I guess I'll save that topic for another time.

"The glowing eyes you saw that night after our date and then today, twice. They put you in a tran–"

I cut him off with a gasp. "What?! The eyes belong to him?! I've been seeing them because he's controlling my mind?!"

Tears well in my eyes as I take in what Brayden said. Adrian's the owner of the glowing eyes that have haunted my dreams. It all makes sense. I was with him when I saw them at the school and at the ice cream shop. I should've put two and two together but I didn't. The way Brayden has been warning me to stay away from Adrian like he's the Plague should have been a tornado siren going off in my head.

Why didn't Brayden tell me the night he found me after I saw Adrian's eyes the first time? Why didn't it cross his mind to tell me then?

Brayden's shaky voice cuts through my freight train of thought. "Mia, I know you're freaking out, but please calm down. Just let me talk, okay? Let me explain," Brayden says anxiously, walking towards me with his hands outstretched like I have a gun pointed at him.

"Why didn't you tell me this sooner, Bray?" I question as I stand from the bed, walking towards him. The calmness in my voice surprises me and it looks like it surprises him, too. "Why didn't you tell me once you found me on the side of the road?" I get right up in his face, fury replacing the blood coursing through my veins.

"Mia..." He tries to back up to put space between us, but I take a step forward every time he takes one back. He needs to answer my questions before I blow up like an atomic bomb from the information he's telling me.

In a swift movement, Brayden has me pinned against the wall with his body pressed flesh into mine. His warm hands hold my wrists above me, the heat from his hand searing through my body but calming the fury in my body. His pink lips are mere centimeters from mine and his forehead lies gently against mine. The smell of him makes me feel intoxicated, the sweet and masculine scent filling every pore on my body. The sigh that falls from my lips is coated in relief from his touch.

"What are you doing, Brayden?" I choke out, overwhelmed with the feel of his firm body against my frail one. His eyes are on my lips and I can't help but lick them, on cue.

He flicks his eyes up to mine. There's a dazed look that wasn't there before. "You looked like you were going to kill me. I had to do something. I'm too young to die," he breathes. His breath fans over my face, hot and smelling of a Wintergreen mint that reminds me of my favorite mints that my grandfather used to give me after I had eaten a piece of chocolate before dinner to mask the smell of the chocolate.