Chapter Thirty-Seven

Mia's POV
One month later...

I wipe my sweaty palms on the silk of my knee-length dress as I pace the small space beside the stage anxiously. I honestly don't know what the hell I was thinking when I said doing a formal introduction would be a great idea. There are over one-thousand people out there and the first row of people may not like me too much if I end up throwing up all of my breakfast on them.

"Baby," Brayden says, causing me to turn my attention to him. "Just take a deep breath, okay? You're scaring me."

"I'm going to hurl all over the first row," I exclaim. "They're going to think I'm a joke of a leader."

Brayden chuckles and I send a deadly glare at him. "I think they'll love you just as much as I do, whether you puke on them or not."

I stop pacing. "That's not funny, Bray."

"I'm trying to lighten the mood, baby. You're way too nervous. Once this is over, you'll realize that it was nothing," he says, placing his hands on my shoulders. His eyes are my favorite shade of blue as they look down at mine. "When it's time, just walk out there with your head high and show everyone how you're going to change their lives and so many others."

His words make me smile brightly. "Thank you, babe," I say, pressing my lips to his. The heels I have on give me more height than usual, putting me at the right height to kiss him without standing on my tippy toes.

When I pull away from him, he's smiling down at me. "You look absolutely gorgeous in this dress," he mutters, slipping his hand into mine and then twirls me around. As I spin, I catch his eyes scanning my tight, navy blue dress. "I think blue might be my favorite color on you," he adds, biting his lip.

I giggle. "I could say the same," I say as he spins me into his chest. "Also, where'd you learn how to dance?"

A cocky smirk slides across his lips. "I was born with these skills, baby."

I toss my head back in laughter. "Oh, I'm sure you did."

He snatches my chin with his fingers, snapping my eyes back to his playfully. "Don't doubt a guy's dancing skills, Mia," he says all serious, causing me to laugh even harder.

As Brayden begins to laugh with me, his eyes avert to the stage between the curtains where the house lights are being dimmed. "Better get going. If you get nervous, just look for me. I'll be right in the middle," he says once his eyes are back on mine. I nod in response, unable to say anything all of a sudden. My nerves have taken back over. "Baby, you've got this," he reassures me again.

"'Okay, okay. I got this," I repeat his words, looking him right in the eyes.

"Exactly." He pulls my forehead to his lips, planting a soft kiss to the middle where my scar is. He always kisses the same spot and I love it. "They'll have no choice but to love you."

"Right," I say, unconvincingly.

Monique's stilettos click and clack against the wood floor of the stage as she takes her place at the podium.

"Okay, I love you, baby," Brayden rushes before pecking me on the lips hastily. I really hope my lipstick isn't smeared all over my face. "You know where to find me. I'll warn the first row once I get out there."

I smack him lightly on the chest. "Don't you dare," I warn. He walks away from me then, chuckling to himself.

Taking a deep breath, I focus on what Monique is saying.

"I've gathered you here today to announce that I will be stepping down from the Leader role," Monique says. Her words cause gasps and protests. I watch as she holds up her hand, palm facing out to the crowd. The room goes silent again. "There is no need to panic. I have already found someone to take my place and she is here today. Please, help me welcome Miss Mia Parker." Monique steps to the side and holds her arm out to the side. That's my cue.