Chapter Four

Mia's POV

I turn up the volume on the radio and nod my head to the upbeat, pop song about how your crush is perfect for you and you're perfect for them. It is such a catchy song and has been my favorite since the release of it. I belt out the lyrics as I drive down the trafficless road in downtown Asheville, heading to the Café for my shift.

The next few days have been a combination of class, work, and trying to determine why Brayden is still ignoring me a week after I left with Charlie. And Charlie kissed me.

We'll come back to that later.

Maybe.

I kind of know why he has been avoiding me ever since I left him standing beside my car while I got in Charlie's car. I will say that I was surprised to see my car sitting in my driveway the following morning. My guess is that Brayden dropped it off here, although I can't be sure. I told Brayden that I was sorry, but I don't think he understands what choices I had to decide between.

You probably should've just drove home like a normal person and not call Charlie, for the love of God, Mia. My conscience rolls her eyes at me.
She's right though. I shouldn't have called Charlie because he's a walking problem. Is it too late to change that stupid decision?

Yes.

It's always too late.

I pull into a parking spot and climb out with my clutch, keys, and phone in my hand. I flatten my light brown polo shirt as I walk through the door.

"Hey, Mia!" Courtney, one of my favorite employees, greets me from behind the counter when I walk in. She's an itty-bitty thing. Blonde luscious curls, pale green eyes, and tan, olive skin year-round. The girl never loses her tan. My Irish skin doesn't allow me to tan, only burn. I envy her.

"Hey, Court," I reply with a smile and a small wave. I push open the door that leads to the back and head to the clock-in station. I grab my card and slide it into the slot, hearing the click that signals I've clocked in, and then I put the card back. I stuff my clutch and keys in the small locker with my name on it. I grab my apron from the rack on the wall and head out to the work station.

"Oh, Mia, I was just looking for you." I turn around to find Helen, my boss -or according to Courtney, the female Hitler- standing right behind me. She's in her late 40's, divorced, and is unreliable.

"What's up?" I ask, tying my apron to my back.

"We got a newbie today. He's all yours." She turns toward her office like our conversation is over.

I mentally groan. "Okay when will he be in?"

"Sorry I'm late," a calm voice says from behind me. I turn around to find a tall guy with shaggy dark hair who looks to be about seventeen. Unlike his voice, his eyes are blazing and sharp under his thick framed glasses, like a snake's. He skin tone makes me guess he's Hispanic but I can't be sure.

"Just in time!" Helen exclaims. "Adrian, this is Mia. She will be training you for the next few days."

"Hi, nice to meet you," I say, jutting my hand out for him to shake. I feel like a robot, like my movements are controlled. Who even shakes each other's hands anymore? Isn't this the 21st century?

Adrian takes my hand firmly, his eyes never leaving mine. His hand is warm and he's looking at me like he knows me from somewhere but can't put his finger on it. I can't help but feel the same way.

"Have we met before, Mia?" Adrian questions as he drops my hand and I blink quickly, thinking to myself. Have we met before? He sure does look familiar.