Chapter Three

Mia's POV

I stand on the sidewalk, stunned. Why did Brayden leave like that? What did I do?

I don't know how long I stand there after Brayden disappears into the darkness of the night. I feel for my keys and phone and head for my car, which is parked two blocks up at a hotel parking lot because parking in front of Corey's was hectic earlier. Now, it's a ghost town.

Goosebumps cover my skin under my jacket. I didn't think to even bring a heavier jacket, knowing that when the sun goes down it becomes ten degrees colder, or so it feels like. I wrap my arms around myself to generate enough body heat to keep me from freezing.

I climb into my car quickly to get out of the cold. I sit and think about what happened. Did I say something that I shouldn't have?

I sigh and start my car; Taylor Swift's Style greets me. I turn the music off, not wanting to listen to anything besides the quiet best of my heart.

I'm kind of hurt and confused by Brayden's sudden departure. All I can think of is he left because of me. How will we be at school tomorrow?

I turn the radio back on in an attempt to drown out my thoughts when something catches my eye.

All I can see in the darkness is vibrant yellow-green eyes. They're glowing. I blink, thinking I'm hallucinating. I look again and they're still there. I blink again, a little longer this time.

Gone.

I pull over on the shoulder of the road feeling sick to my stomach. I close my eyes trying to pull myself together, only to find the burning yellow eyes staring straight at me.

I open my door to get fresh air and I let out a groan. I reach over to the cup holder where my phone is sitting and call my mom. The slow ringing makes me impatient and on edge. Her voicemail picks up and I hang up, not bothering to leave a message. I would call Brayden, but I don't have his number. He's probably the only one who might believe me if I told him about the glowing eyes.

Do I even believe myself?

Nope, not at all.

I call Skyler, even though I know her parents wouldn't let her out of the house. She can never get away with anything. Her voicemail picks up too and I want to scream because that leaves me no choice but to call the last person I ever want to speak to again. Charlie.

I roll my eyes as I click on his name and lift the phone to my ear. The phone rings two times and Charlie's voice comes over the line.

"Well, well, well," he says and I can practically hear the smirk forming on his lips.

"I need you help." I bite my lip hoping he'll say he's busy.

"What's wrong?" His tone changes from cocky to concerned. It's all an act.

"I... uh, well-" I trail off when I see a wide-eyed Brayden walk up beside my car.

"Baby, what's wrong?" Charlie asks more firmly. I'm speechless as I stare up at Brayden. How did he find me? Why is he here?

"Nothing. I'm sorry for bugging you," I say. Brayden's eyes are a stone grey as he watched me talk on the phone. Does he know who I'm talking to? God, can he stop staring at me like that?

"I'm coming to get you. Where are you?" Charlie asks and I hear rustling in the background like he's getting out of bed.

Don't tell him, Mia. Brayden demands and I shudder at his voice booming in my mind.

"No, no, I'm fine. I'll see you tomorrow," I rush.

"Mia-" I click end call before Charlie can say anything else. I stand up from my seat. Brayden runs his hand through his hair and takes a breath at the same time I do.