Chapter Eleven

Brayden's POV

The smirk on Dad's face when I walk through the front door has I-Know-You-Just-Got-Kissed-For-The-First-Time-And-I-Won't-Be-Able-To-Keep-My-Mouth-Shut written all over it.

"What?" I say, annoyance clear in my voice as I glare at him. I take a seat on the stool at the island in the middle of the kitchen. The marble counter top is cool against my hot skin.

His smirk grows and I roll my eyes. "Nothing," he replies, tight-lipped. He uses a spatula to stir the creamy pasta that he's been making for dinner. Mm, I'm sure it's nothing.

I reach across the counter, sticking my finger in the sauce, and then quickly putting it in my mouth before it drips. "If you have anything to say, say it now." I keep my eyes on his as I say this, but he keeps his eyes on the food.

There are a few moments of neither of us saying anything with the simmer of the food cooking making the silence between us more awkward somehow. I almost stand up from my seat and go upstairs to my room because of the tension in the air, but Dad's quiet chuckle stops me.

He looks up at me; an amused smile now replaces his smirk. "I won't say anything," he says, smiling so big that his face might actually expand. "Dinner should be fun on Friday." His eyes flicker up to mine as he shuts off the stove.

My eyes narrow at him. "What makes you say that?" Why would he say that? Is he not worried about the possibility that Mia is part of them? The fact that she could be part of their group makes me sick to my stomach . . .

She barely knows anything about what she really is. There's no way that she could be a part of them.

Right?

"She seems like a nice girl. I think I'm still going to run a quick background on her, just in case, you know?" Dad says, anxiously. There's the Dad I know.

"I was afraid you wouldn't." I wring my hands together, looking away from him.

It's not that I don't believe that Mia is an ordinary girl who just so happens to have Telepathy, like me, because I do. But the way Mia asks questions that could all lead to deeper questions about my life puts me on edge and makes me question whether I should force my dad to move again.

No. That would be stupid.

I could just talk to Mia.

But is that safe...? Is it safe for me? Is it safe for Mia?

The slight throb of a headache begins. Lovely.

"What's the matter, Brayden?" Dad asks. Out of the corner of my eye as I look at the ceiling, Dad's eyes are full of concern.

I have to be honest with him. He's always been honest with me, so it's respectful of me to do the same. He is the one person who keeps me alive and safe.

"I kissed Mia," I say and then backtrack. "Well, I kissed her cheek and then she kissed me on the lips." My lips tingle at the mention of the shocking braveness Mia had up in my bedroom. I look back to dad. The amusement that was in his eyes when I walked through the front door after Mia drove off is back again and I have to bite the inside of my cheek to keep myself from groaning.

Dad clears his throat. "So . . . You're on edge because the girl you've been non-stop talking about finally kissed you?" His eyes narrow as he says 'kissed you' like he's trying to solve a puzzle.

"That's not the entire reason." I roll my eyes and blow out a breath. My eyes rest on the ceiling again and Dad laughs again. "She just... Mia asks these questions that could lead to so much more if I let her, but I don't because deep down... " I trail off, swallowing hard before pulling myself together as I spill the beans to my dad. "I have a feeling she's part of... you know who." I give him one of those looks. His eyes widen in realization and I nod my head once.