Chapter Twenty-Three

Mia's POV
"Soooo, where are we going?" Adrian questions, curiosity coating his deep voice.

"I already told you," I say, flirtatiously. "It's a surprise."

Adrian laughs a defeated laugh and looks back out the window.

Is he onto me? Does he know I'm taking him hostage? Does he know that every flirty grin or wink I've sent his way was just to lure him in? God, I hope not.

I've done my best at trying to stall for at least fifteen minutes so Brayden would have time to get home, but if Adrian looked to his left, he would see that we're passing the school for the second time. I make a left at the light right after the school and head towards Brayden's.

"Angel, are you okay? You seem quiet today." Adrian's voice makes my skin crawl and I tighten my death-gripped hands on the steering wheel.

I put on one of the fakest smiles I've ever slipped on my face and hope he buys it. "Yeah, yeah, I'm great. Happy I get to spend some time with you." I give him a sideways glance that hopefully says I'm so into you so that he doesn't feel the need to mess with my already chaotic brain.

Please just let me get to Brayden's...

"This mood you're in doesn't have anything to do with Brayden, does it?" The way he says Brayden's name like it is poison in his mouth makes me want to pull over and force Adrian out of my car. Stick to the plan, Mia.

I give him a—fake—incredulous look. "No, why would it?" When I look back to the road, I realize Brayden's street is coming up and I try not to show my physical relief.

Adrian slips his hand over the center counsel and onto my thigh, while his right casted-hand stays propped against the door. His hand is soft like he puts lotion on his hands every morning and night. It's nothing like the roughness of Brayden's, the roughness I've become so accustomed to. Boy, am I going to have to make up big time to him.

"It was just a question, Angel. You don't have to breathe down my neck like that," he laughs softly. His thumb runs gently side to side over my jeans. Unlike the fire that would be coursing through my blood if Brayden's hand would've been on my thigh, Adrian's hand sends ice through my body.

Stop comparing them! You already know Brayden's the better choice, idiot.

When we turn down Brayden's street, Adrian's eyes scan the houses lining the street. Can he feel how tense I am from just touching my thigh?

"Is your mom home?"

My stomach turns. Did he just...?

"W-what?" I choke out. Was he planning on sleeping with me?

"Is your mom home, Angel?" he repeats and I swerve to miss a car parked close to the curb.

Thank god we're not going to my house.

Without hesitation, despite how untrue it is, I say, "Yes, she's home." Alastair will be here. So will Brayden.

My plan seems to be working.

Adrian sighs, disappointed, when he sees Alastair's Hummer parked in front of the house. He seriously thought I would do that with him?! As if!

"Home sweet home," I exclaim, grabbing my bag from the backseat and yanking the keys from the ignition. Adrian is looking at Brayden's house, a look on his face I can't decipher. "Is something wrong?" I purr, placing my hand on his thick bicep.

Adrian glances at me like I just brought him out of some trance. Then he looks back at the house. "No, Angel, nothing's wrong." The hand that was rested against my thigh finds the door handle and he climbs out of my car. I quickly exit and jog to catch up with him, curling my hand around his bicep as I lead him up the two steps to Brayden's front door.