Not So Great Birthday

First story :)

---

February 10, 1993

“I can’t wait till our little Raven is born.” Andrew smiled, rubbing his wife tummy. Andrew and Abbie were having a baby girl. The due date was the 14th. The two couples couldn’t wait for her to come out.

“Raven? I was thinking of, Anjelica, Dalia, Leilah, or Dylan.” Abbie smiled.

“We’ll see when the time come.” Andrew kissed Abbie’s balloon size stomach. 

“Speaking of time, will you go to the Kroger’s and get some groceries? We’ve barely have any food left.” Abbie offered.

“Anything for Baby Becky.” Andrew replied.

”Okay. I’ve got a list in the kitchen. I’ll be right back.” Abbie left the room to the kitchen. She came back with a purple note. “We need baby food, diapers, milk, orange juice, apple juice, pancake mix, eggs, and butter.” She read the items on the note.

“I thought we gathered some baby food last week.” Andrew glanced at Abbie. He put his leather jacket on.

“I accidentally ate them. Baby hormones. Now hurry before it close! It’s going to be midnight. On the news it said over fifty people died this earlier in the year. So, hurry!” Abbie pushed Andrew to the door. 

“Alright Abbie, stop being so paranoid.” Andrew was opening the door, “Don’t stay up too late. You know how you are when you don’t get enough sleep in the morning.” 

“Whatever! Just get my food!” Abbie yelled at him. 

“Okay okay, I’m going.” Andrew opened the door. He walked outside the cold breeze. He squeezed his jacket tight. He went downstairs from their apartment to his used 1969 Chevrolet Camaro. Abbie and Andrew were poor. They have just left Abbie’s mother’s house last year an October and moved her in the beginning of January. Andrew got in and started the car. He backed up and drove to Kroger’s, which was right around the corner, a couple of blocks. Andrew put on some slow music and singed to it. Andrew always singed to songs. He knew every song on the radio. Abbie used to yell and scream at him to shut up because he was a horrible singer. He parked into Kroger’s. He got out of the car and checked his leather jacket pocket. He pulled out his wallet to find some money. His only has about 80 dollars. Not much but enough for Abbie, him, and the baby. Andrew walked into Kroger’s. He felt weird, like, he was being watched. Andrew looked behind him. Nothing.

“Maybe the cold is messing with me.” Andrew walked inside Kroger’s. He still had that feeling that he was being watched the entire time in Kroger’s. He walked out of Kroger’s with a bunch of bags. He put the bags in his trunk. Andrew slammed the trunk down and walked to the driver’s door. Still feel like being watched, Andrew opened the door and got in. He closed the door, and turned the car on. He drove away from the parking lot. He turned on the radio and pumped up the volume. Dirty Diana was playing on the radio.