Chapter 115-All Packed

"Please, you're our last hope." The woman begged in a raspy voice.

"What happened?" Allison asked harshly.

"Those monsters....... they attacked us.." The women explained. She coughed for a minute and leaned up against the wall behind her.

I stepped over towards her and looked at her neck. It was covered in several bites, she was going to die.

"Please... Take her with you. I'm all she has now... Take her somewhere safe." She whispered to me.

I looked at the crying little girl and the woman reached for my hand and gripped it tightly.

"Take care of my baby, I'm begging you. Please keep her safe." She whispered.

There wasn't anything I could do but nod. What else was I suppose to do? So I nodded my head slowly and the little girl kissed her moms forehead. "Mommy, don't go." She pleaded as her tears fell onto her mothers cheek.

"Honey, you can do this. These girls will take care of you. You be good and listen to them, you do everything they say and you don't leave their side. You'll be alright baby, your going to grow up, fall in love and have a family. I'll be with you all the time sweetheart. I love you." The woman cried, cradling her daughter close.

The mother gently pushed the girl off of her and shut her eyes. "Go, go with them. Be safe and live life." Her mother begged, her voice choking as she spoke.

"Mommy!" The little girl cried, trying to reach her mother.

"No, go!" Her mother screamed. The little girl cried harder and ran to me. She hugged my leg and I looked at Allison.

She nodded to the exit and I picked the little girl up. I carried her into the room with the formula and set her down before picked up the bag.

A lone gun shot made me cringe as I knew Allison had put the woman out of misery.

"Mariah?" Allison called from the hallway.

"Here!" I called out. How could she not know where we were? The girls crying was loud enough to alert every dead or alive person in the entire town.

Allison stepped into the room and I kneeled down beside the girl. "My names Mariah, and this is Allison." I said, trying to comfort the girl.

She stopped crying, and looked at me "Are you my new mommy?" She asked sadly.

"No, no um were just going to um take care of you." I said trying to sound hopeful.

She looked at the ground then quickly back up at Allison "Are you my new mommy?" She asked innocently.

Allison simply shook her head and the little girl frowned. "Come on, we need to get back." Allison whispered into my ear.

"Grab the bag, I'll meet you at the car." I ordered. Allison grabbed the bag from my hand and disappeared down the hallway.

"Where's all your stuff? Do you have anything you want to take?" I asked.

The little girl stopped crying, but the tears still ran down her face. "My room." She whimpered.

I gently took her hand and she lead me down the hallway past the entrance towards another brown door.

She opened it and I studied the room. A bright pink suitcase laid on the floor, unopened.

A white cot laid against the wall beside it was a dresser with photos on top. The room was a mix of colours and several stuffed animals laid around the room.

I kneeled down and unzipped the suit case. Everything the girl would need laid neatly packed in front of me.

I zipped it back up and stood up. "Let's go." I said softly. The girl quickly ran to her bed, her long blonde hair trailing after her.

She picked up a worn out stuffed bunny and tucked it between her arms and chest.

The girl walked towards me and I picked her up. We walked to the front entrance and rather than crawling on the couches, I just ran across them.

After a minute we got outside and Allison was waiting in the car. I opened the back door for the girl and placed her inside.

I put her seatbelt on and shut the door. I threw the bag in the trunk and sat myself in the front.

As soon as my door was shut Allison took off speeding and I looked back at the girl.

"Why don't you try to go to sleep? Its a long car ride." I whispered. The girl nodded and shut her eyes.

I turned back around and glanced towards Allison. Her expression remained the same as it did when we found the girl, cold and angry.

"What's wrong?" I asked quietly.

Allison shrugged and continued to stare at the road "Nothing." She whispered back.

"Don't give me that shit Allison, are you mad because now we have to take care of her?" I asked.

Allison grit her teeth and I crossed my arms "Dammit Allison! Tell me." I growled.

Allison slammed on the breaks and I glanced back at the little girl. She was still sleeping, how I don't know.

Allison turned the car off and climbed out. I followed and I walked around to her.

"Yeah I'm mad!" She yelled, "We can't take her!" Allison continued.

"And why's that?" I asked.

Allison paced back and fourth and rubbed her forehead. "Do you not remember whats going on back at the Prison?" Allison asked. "We're under attack! We're at war! We're all going to die, and now you're dragging her into this! Her mother asked us to keep her safe and we can't!" Allison screamed.

"We can! We're going to hold our ground, we're going to be alright! We need to be strong Allison! We need something to fight for!" I snapped.

"She's hope, that's what she is. She's given us more hope. If a little girl can last this long in an apocalypse then we sure as hell can too." I yelled.

"She's going to get hurt." Allison argued.

"No, she's going to be just fine. Just like her mother said." I snapped back.

I stormed back to the other side of the car and climbed in. Allison got back in and started it up.

We rode in silence as we sped down the road, since the radio wasn't going to work we were stuck listening to the grumble of the engine.

How could Allison think this was a mistake? We were going to defend the Prison and get rid of this Governor.

I was going to do everything I can to protect this girl, this innocent life form needs someone and I'm going to be there.

A minute later we were driving up the prison road. "Wakey wakey, we're home." I said softly to the girl.

Her eyes cracked open and she rubbed them with her tint fists. Glenn yanked the gate open and Allison drove through.

Allison grabbed the insulin and formula and stormed inside. Glenn trailed after her leaving me and the girl alone out side.

I got out of the car and unbuckled the girl. I set her down on the ground and kneeled down in front of her.

"Do you remember who I am?" I asked hopefully.

She nodded "Mariah." She said softly.

I smiled and the girl smiled back "Now can you tell me your name?" I asked sweetly.

"Victoria."