Chapter 9- Nice To Meet You

Rick climbed out of the truck and glanced around at the people around him. His eye caught something and he looked ready to break down and cry.

"DAD!" A child's voice screamed from behind me. The kid suddenly came into view and barrelled towards him. Rick bent down and took him into his arms, sinking to the ground crying, and clutching the little boy for dear life.

Rick and the child stood up, and a petite, brunette woman joined in on their embrace and Rick quickly stole a kiss from her before continuing the embrace. Rick had found his family.

They hugged for a long moment, savouring the moment that they were all together once again.

I smiled and looked around at the group, trying to sort out who was who. Morales came over to us and lead us closer to the group.

I stood in the middle of a semi circle with Taylor and Jason. I felt like a horse at a show, having everyone take a look at the new meat.

"These three people saved our lives back there in Atlanta, along with Rick." He jabbed his thumb over his shoulder, pointing at the still embracing family.

He gestured to us and Taylor smiled. "I'm Tayler and this is my brother Jason." She looked at me waiting for me to introduce myself.

I crossed my arms and stared into their curious eyes. "My name is Mariah, these two are my adopted siblings."

No one said anything, just stared at us curiously. "We will do anything we can to help out." Jason said.

A black haired man stepped forward, wearing the same kind of clothes that Rick wore.

"Rick?" He walked over and smacked him on the back. Rick returned the pat. He broke away from his family for a second and gave him a hug.

I smiled and surveyed the group. Morales had a wife and two children, Andrea had a younger sister, Jacque and Glenn didn't seem to have a family, neither did T-Dog.

I waited for the happy family moment to end so we could tie up our loose ends. After a few more moment Shane turned his attention to us.

"I guess some introductions are due, make your way around to everyone. We have a lot to do."

We nodded and everyone dispersed. The first people I wanted to meet, were Rick's family.

I quickly walked over to them and smiled at Rick, waiting for him to introduce us.

He smiled and patted my shoulder. "This little girl here, is the woman that saved my life. Without her, I wouldn't be here." Rick explained to his wife.

The woman came over and pulled me into a large hug. "Because of you, were a family again. I'm Lori Grimes."

I smiled and hugged her closer, I could tell we were going to be good friends. I felt small arm's wrap around my torso.

I let go of Lori and bent down. "You must be Rick's son." I chuckled.

He smiled and nodded. He stuck out his hand. "I'm Carl Grimes." I nodded and shook his hand. "I'm Mariah." He smiled at me. "Thank you for saving my dad."

I nodded. "He's a good man Carl, you'll turn out just like him." He smiled and I stood up.

Rick looked genially happy, and he deserved it. I turned on my heels and went to meet everyone else.

Andrea quickly grabbed my arm and turned me to face her. "Mariah, this is my sister Amy."

I smiled and stuck out my hand, Amy quickly took it. She looked to be around my age.

"You helped my sister thank you." Her voice was light and feminine. I nodded "She's sweet, and helped out a lot." I admitted.

I looked around to see Jason standing with an older looking man, and a middle aged man. Tayler stood with Jacque and Lori, getting to know each other.

I decided to go meet the cop that seemed to be a good friend of Rick's. he was standing with Rick so he'd be easier to talk to.

I strolled over to them, and they stopped talking. The man looked me over quickly and nudged Rick.

I crossed my arms and raised a eyebrow. The man stuck his hand out quickly.

"I'm Shane, Rick's police partner, you know before the world went to shit." I nodded and took his hand.

"I'm Mariah." He smiled, and Rick patted him on the back. Shane crossed his arms.

"So what's your story?" I smirked and told him. He listened curiously, I shortened it up so he only knew the apocalyptic part.

He nodded and Jason walked over to me, the two men he was with earlier following behind him.

"Hey, who's this?" Jason asked nodding to Shane. I smiled at Shane and he came to my side.

"This is Shane, Rick's friend before the world went to shit." I quoted, "Who are they?" Jason stepped to the side to let the men meet me.

The older man stuck out his hand. "I'm Dale." I smiled politely at Dale, "Good to meet you Dale, I'm Mariah."

He smiled back at me and stepped aside. The middle aged man from before stood in front of me, his arms crossed.

"I'm Jim." I nodded at Jim, "Hey Jim,

nice to meet you." He nodded and moved out of the way, Jason took his spot.

I looked around the camp, I've meet everyone besides the one women with short hair, the little girl, and the large man.

They seemed to be a family, the women seemed rather fragile but had an aura of kindness and I wanted to meet her as soon as possible.

"I'm going to go meet them over there." I pointed towards the small family.

Shane nodded. "Careful around Ed." I nodded, assuming it was the man. I walked towards the family, a large smile on my face.

I went to the woman first. "Hey, My names Mariah." She smiled and pulled me into a small hug.

"I'm Carol, I'm so happy to meet you." I laughed and pulled back. "Who's this beautiful girl?" I said pointing at the young girl.

"I'm Sophia." I smiled and looked up to the large man.

I stuck out my hand. "I'm Mariah, who are you?" He crossed his arms and didn't say anything. Carol came to his side.

"This is my husband Ed." I nodded and took my hand back. "It's very nice to meet you all."

Carol and Sophia smiled at me, while Ed glared hatefully. I ignored Ed and quickly walked over to Tayler.

She was finishing up a conversation with Dale. "Meet Ed yet?" She laughed. "Unfortunately."

I laughed and slung my arm over her shoulder. "I can't wait till the group see's us in action."

She laughed. "Won't they be surprised." She laughed at my comment and Dale gave us a weird look.

He shrugged and walked away towards the rest of the group. Shane and Rick started to talk.

"Let's go over and see what they're talking about." Tayler laughed and nodded to my comment.

She grabbed my arm, "Let's go already." I rolled my eyes and let her pull me along.