Shame Pulses Through My Heart

Adam's POV

Luckily, Penny had confided in me that she had secretly bought her parent's house because she couldn't stand the idea of someone outside the family having it. She had planned to tell Brian once they were together again, that must not have happened since Gwyn had tore them apart.

I found the address on the Internet using her Mother's name. I needed perfect timing, Penny had to know the truth and then get Brian to come to her hideaway as soon as he landed. Then the three of us needed to figure out what to do about Gwyn, before she completely snapped.

Of course, nothing went right, my flight was delayed twice, I had to wait a half hour for the rental car. Even with the address, I had trouble finding the house. It seems Google Maps isn't real up to date on the county roads of Ohio. I finally found the house, a large ranch house with a circle driveway in front and a driveway leading to the garages in the back. All the blinds and curtains were shut. I parked my car in the circle and went around to the back of the house. Even the blinds on the enclosed patio were shut tight. The only windows that weren't covered were the windows at the top of the entry door to the three-car garage. I looked in and saw a purple mustang. BINGO!

Penny's POV

There was a pounding on the front door. There was no way I was answering it.

"Penny, I know you're in there. I saw your car in the garage. Please, listen to me. I haven't told anyone where you are, but I did have Chloe call Brian to get him to come to town as soon as he could."

"Why would you do that? I don't want him anywhere near me." I yelled through the door.

"Please Penny!" He pleaded.

I reluctantly opened the door, I knew Adam wasn't dangerous and soon he would tell Brian exactly where I was and I needed to get rid of him so I could leave.

"This is another reason I shouldn't have trusted you." I slapped his face.

"I deserved that, I know." He said.

"Looks like someone already gave you a good beating. Was it Brian?"

"No, it was Matt Sanders. Brian has been looking for you."

"What do you want Adam?" I said angrily.

"Penny, I know you hate me and I don't blame you. But you need to know the truth, you and Brian are in danger."

"What the hell are you talking about?" Obviously, this was another game.

"Gwyn is behind everything, she wanted Brian so she poisoned you to spend time with him when she visited. She blackmailed me to lie to you and keep you here. She said if I said anything to anyone she would kill you."

"I'm not fond of Gwyn now, but that is ridiculous. Do you really expect me to believe that shit?"

"It's the truth. All those times you were sick when she was in California, did you get sick like that after she left? When we all met for dinner, where did you end up?"

"In the hospital, but even if I were poisoned how do I know the three of you weren't in it together?" I couldn't believe his crazy lies.

"Brian had no idea, he was worried about you and trying to fend off Gwyn's advances. He was trying to protect you from the hurt of finding out your friend was coming on to him. He had no idea and still has no idea that she would hurt you physically."

"What about you, Adam? When did you become part of this evil plot?"

"Right after dinner here, before I got Brian's call that you were in the hospital. I couldn't prove that she was the cause, it was another way of her keeping me in line. She recorded me saying that I had feelings for you, unethical feelings. I should've done something sooner, I let it go too far for too long."