Sidewinder

Brian's POV

In California, I got back to work with the guys. Penny kept up with her treatment and I completed physical therapy. I made sure that even though I was busy with the band that I didn't neglect her. I tried to be home with her or she went to the studio as much as possible. Since she wasn't supposed to go out in crowded places, it was good for her to go where she could. She wasn't as sick right after her treatments as she had been at first. We were getting back to normal.

About a month after we got back, Gwyn came to visit while on business. Of course Penny invited her to stay with us and Gwyn accepted the invitation. I hoped my earlier concerns were just my imagination. Penny had a treatment the day after Gwyn arrived. Gwyn offered to take her to the appointment since I was busy at the studio. Penny was feeling worse afterward than I had seen since she was in the hospital having daily treatments. I wanted to just stay with her in our bedroom and take care of her but she insisted that I entertain Gwyn.

"She's our guest, we can't just ignore her because I'm sick."

"I'm sure she'll understand." I tried to tell her.

"Please Bri, for me? You know I will feel terrible if you don't." I knew there was no way to say no.

"Okay Penelope, but I am not going out. If you need me, I will be right here."

"Thank you." She said.

I made sure she had everything she needed and tucked her in.

"I'll be back soon; I don't plan to stay up late."

When I went downstairs, Gwyn was there waiting for me. She was dressed to kill with a very sexy dress on. She saw my t-shirt, shorts and sandals.

"I feel overdressed." She said.

"I hope it's okay if we just hang out here tonight. I just don't want to leave Penny all alone."

"Of course, I understand. I love your house, don't tell Penny but I like it better than hers." She was trying to disguise her disappointment and flatter me. She failed on both counts.

"Well, they are both OUR houses and I actually picked out the house in Ohio."

"I didn't mean for it to come out that way." She was stumbling over her words.

"Maybe we should have dinner." I suggested.

"Okay if I go change into something more comfortable?" She said.

"Of course." We decided to order Chinese and have it delivered. I ordered while she changed. She came back wearing a sheer cover-up over one of the skimpiest bikinis I had ever seen.

"You must be planning to swim later?" I asked.

"I would like to. I was hoping you would join me." She smiled coyly. Luckily the food arrived just then. "Let's eat outside, by the pool." She added.

We ate and she told me about her travels and I told her about mine.

"It must have been really weird for Penny, having never flown to get used to touring and all the travel. She's always been such a home body."

"She's adjusted to it very well and her ability to make a house a home is part of what I love about her." I said with mild irritation.

"Yes, Penny is quite the little homemaker." She smiled at me. "June Cleaver and all that."

I decided to change the subject before she attempted more passive aggressive comments about Penny.

"So how long will you be staying?" I asked.