The Curtain Rises

Brian's POV

My head was still fuzzy, but I was sure of what I overheard Gwyn saying on the phone.

"There's going to be a lot of hurt and a little danger, but that's what makes life interesting. Trust me, everyone will be happy in the end. I'll talk to you later."

"Hurt and Danger? What and who were you talking about?"

"Brian!" She was startled. "I'm glad you're up, how are you feeling?"

"I'm feeling much better. Who were you talking to?" I wasn't going to let my question go un-answered.

"Oh that, that was my publicist." She seemed unsure about her answer.

"Hurt and Danger?" I asked.

"We were discussing the book I am working on, he doesn't agree with the storyline." Suddenly she was at ease and confident.

"The book that involves touring with a band?"

"Yes, one of the characters is a woman in a successful rock band. She has an affair while on tour, that results in a dangerous love triangle."

"But everyone will be happy in the end?" It still felt like the pieces didn't fit.

"That is how I have it planned right now, but you never know what might happen. I don't want to give the whole story away and it's not as close to being done as I thought it would be."

"Maybe we should make sure you have more time to work. I have monopolized your time too much." Her answers made sense, perhaps I was wrong for questioning her.

"Absolutely not, I am always working. I think of things and I write later, I take a lot of notes on my phone." She smiled.

"I'm sorry for listening in on your phone call, I didn't mean to pry. I was just going to get a glass of water; my mouth is dry."

"The medicine I gave you will do that. You probably need something to eat, I'll order room service." She smiled and brought me a glass of water.

"That sounds great."

"You look at the menu and decide what you want. I have to go to the bathroom and I will be right back." She said.

While she was out of the room, I grabbed her phone quickly to see who she was talking to. The screen wasn't locked yet and I was able to check her call history. Her last incoming and outgoing call was a contact listed only as DAG. I heard her coming back before I could check her contacts and see what the number was. I put her phone back just before she walked back into the room.

"I forgot to tell you, Penny called while you were asleep. I answered your phone, I hope you don't mind."

"It's okay. I am glad she called. Do you mind if I call her back?"

"No problem, I'll go to my suite and change into something comfy and order our food."

"Thanks Gwyn." I jotted down what I wanted to eat and she left.

As I was calling Penny, I couldn't help thinking about what I overheard and Gwyn's explanation. The headache had obviously made me paranoid, I needed to let it go.

Penny's POV

I impatiently waited for Brian's call and fumed over what Gwyn said. I couldn't help questioning myself, was she right? We both said things we shouldn't have and I'm sure we both didn't mean. My mind bounced from he's being paranoid and jealous, to he's missing me, then he wants me to be miserable etc. By the time he finally called, I was in tears and I was afraid of how the call would go.