Chap (19)

I rested my head back on the old tree and started to wonder how many minutes I encouraged in my walk away from the group. I suppose I over reacted in a sense, but a friend dying from an alien ivasion and being stuck in the middle of nowhere with no communicating devices can cause a huge amount of stress, confusion and absent mind. I glided my hand along the dirt that was pushed down beneath my sneakers I started pulling at random strands of grass.

"Jasmine?" an anomous face swung around the tree. "What?" I mumbled, striking my face down plucking the grass again. "Jasmine! How long has it been since I seen that face!" the accent clicked into my memory.

"Maggie?" I shot up, she shone her torch that hid behind her back, "Yup! Wow, you haven't changed a bit!" she tipped the hat on her head. "What are you doing out here?"

"Huh, funny I was about to ask you the very same thing, well hunny I live out here." Maggie had to be in her early thirties she acted more of an eighty year old but she still had a bit of young spirit in her, "Hows my little Pattie?" she gave a smile as she fixed the corners of her boot. I fluttered my eyes to bring me back to the reality, "About that..." I said softly.

"Your telling me my young Pattie's been shot by hunters?!" Maggie stormed into her kitchen and tore off her coat, "Now, did you recongizes the little pests?" I shrugged and sucked in a few more tears, "That's the thing, me and the boys were going to pick her up... She said something about coming to see you... We found her lying dead with a large bullet that shot through her head." I hated lying but she'd think I was crazy if I told her the full truthfull story.

She bit her bottom lip and placed both hands on each hip, "That isn't on, I'm gonna phone the police and make them find the killers and make sure they're shooted down!", me too I thought to myself, "It must've been an accident, why would they pick on Patrcia?"

"Dreadful minded people out there Jasmine, awfully dreadful." to my relief she passed the phone reciever. "You look terrified Jasmine! Well, I wouldn't blame you after what you witnessed, I'll make you a nice cup of tea, alright?" she patted me gently on the back and tottered to the kitchen countertop and boiled the kettle. I sat down, lumped over, at the kitchen table it had a playful smooth wood that you couldn't help but rub the edges, "Can I ask you something?" 

"Mm?" she froze, her back still facing me. "I don't mean this in a bad way or anything, but you seem pretty... Calm, if it's the right word, about hearing about Patricia's death..." 

"Hun, I'm definitely not pleased about her being dead. I'm really upset even though I'm not showing it but... You'd harden up if you lived out in the middle of no where on your own." she stirred my tea around with a spoon, "This should be good enough, here you go dear drink up." she slid the cup across the table. "Thanks Maggie, you a big help." I sipped the tea in content when I suddenly caught Maggie's suspicious look on her face, to change the subject I complimented her house, "You remodelled?" 

She nodded, the suspicious look still loomed on her soft face. "Did you get new windows?" 

She got out of her trance, "Naaaw, the windows will do me till I'm well gone." she stretched her arms up to the panelled ceiling, I nodded with a smile. 

"You take up acting? I used to... To say about myself I think I'm pretty darn good at it," she combed her curly brunnete hair. "We are acting aren't we?" 

I put my cup down, "What?" she gave me a detective smile back, "Patricia's death? She wasn't really killed by hunters, was she? I seen it all Jasmine." my eyes widened, "How much did you s-" 

"I seen enough," she slid her stomach across the table, "Tell me exactly what those aliens want with you."