Zane's Bedtime Story

This is the story that Zane told Aphmau in the last chapter.

Hope you all enjoy!
-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

There once was an Angel.

She was a beautiful thing. Her flawless skin almost seemed to glow along with her long, raven-black hair. Her pale blue eyes, cold as ice, captured the powerful beauty of winter itself. Her wings, which were a pure white fading to a very light gray at the tips, were a masterpiece. Her golden horns hid just beneath her hair.

She hid among humans, helping them. She even fell in love. But she lived for a very long time, and eventually forgot how to love. She could no longer care about anything.

But there was also a Demon.

He was quite handsome. His pale skin contrasted greatly with his dark dark black hair. His golden eyes told a story of fire and brimstone. His wings, which were black fading to dark red and silver at the tips were menacing, no doubt, but clipped, limiting him to gliding. His black horns stood camouflaged against his hair. His tail, like a long whip, was often curled at his side.

Exiled from his home, he hid among humans. He even managed to destroy a village. But he lived so long, he eventually forgot how to hate. He grew fond of the people who he lived with.

The Angel eventually found a village to settle into. But her heart had beat for so long, that now, she was as cold as ice. But her beauty made her talk of the town. Many suitors would approach her, but her icy look was usually more than enough to scare them off.

The Demon also found a town to settle into. He often found himself developing impish crushes, only to get crushed.

But then he met her.

The maiden everyone talked about. The girl whose icy glare was enough to chase away any potential suitors.

Hailing from the Nether itself, the Demon knew what true peril was. So he wasn't afraid of this girl's icy stare. He simply sensed her uncaring, he sensed how slowly her heart beat.

The Angel found herself somewhat intrigued by this young man, this boy who gave her that warm smile. She could feel how fast and lively his heart was, how full of emotions he was.

"An angel! I'd thought you were all locked in the Aether! Tell me, why is your heart so slow?"

The Angel simply looked at him.

"Why is your heart so fast and lively? Why does a demon heart such as yours beat faster than the mortals around it? And what would a demon like you be doing outside of the Nether?"

"I asked first."

"When you've lived as long as I have, in a world such as this, you forget how to love. There are times when I enjoy fantasies of being in the Nether, it suits this world so well."

"When I left the Nether, I almost believed I had stumbled upon the Aether, this world is so wondrous. When you've lived the way I've lived, you simply forget how to hate."

The Angel smiled to herself, just a little, at the thought of demon with a heart.

"Well, Heart, I don't know where you've been, but I've only seen the worst of the world. Where is the kindness? Where are the fast-beating hearts like yours?"

Heart smirked. "You may have seen nothing but evil, Peril, but that's because you angels always think you're so high and mighty. Always thinking your world is perfect. You look down on everything, turn your noses up at the chaos."

Peril looked at Heart. "You demons are no better. You destroy, you demoralize order. We are the creators, you are the destroyers."

"Oh really?" Heart laughed. "Is that what you were told? Ha! You angels think you forged the world, but you're more prone to destroy it!"

Peril stared at Heart. Her own heart began to beat at a slightly faster pace. Rage filled her.

Heart stared at Peril. His heart began to slow, just a little bit. Hatred engulfed him.

In one fluid motion, Heart moved forwards, flaring his wings and uncurling his tail.

With a swiftness unknown to mortals, Peril lunged forwards and ripped the beating demon heart out of Heart's chest.

Heart stood, clutching the gaping hole in his chest.

"How?! How is it possible for a demon's heart to beat this fast?! What trickery did you use to make my own heart beat faster? Tell me, demon, before I use your wings as dusters and your tail as a backscratcher!" Peril shouted.

Nobody's really sure what happened next, but a traveler who happened upon this place found the two dead bodies of Heart and Peril, locked in combat-grappling and choking with one another til their last dying breaths.

They even say that Heart's heart still beats somewhere, bearing a very special curse of love and hate.

And that's the end of it.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Hope y'all enjoyed!

Baii!