Painful Rejection: Chapter Five - Suddenly Undead

Chapter Five

Suddenly Undead

“What do you mean ‘they’re zombies,’” Brendon demanded.

“Exactly that, these two are zombies. Well, of a sort,” Harmony stated.

“Zombies aren’t real,” Archer said, rolling his eyes as if dismissing what was before him as nothing.

“Humans say the same thing about us,” she stated causing him to scuff and turn away. “But in a sense, you’re right. These aren’t exactly zombies.”

“Harmony,” Michael warned.

“Well not use hiding it from them,” she sighed. “About fifteen years ago there were reports of disappearances, strange occurrences and sighted, as it was worded, ‘zombies’ in areas in Western Russia. It was dismissed at the time due to it’s ludicrous nature but some five years later there were these same reports in the southern region of the United States, the Court thought it best to refrain from making the knowledge public a-

“You mean you just kept that there were zombies wandering around,” Brendon seethed.

“That’s the thing. These,” she pointed at the corpses before them. “Are not zombies. These creatures are the product of a chain of experiments from a vampire and brilliant scientist well known throughout the Court. This scientist was obsessed with the psychological concept of the mind and having been raised during and a victim of the holocaust he became obsessed with controlling it to ensure a sort of peace. In his experiments he would take human subjects and try to find ways to control them which resulted in a sort of mad cow disease causing the brain to swell and anger and primal instincts to take over. But mostly anger and though the products were feral in a sense, they still obeyed their master as he learned to control them. The creatures before you are results of a specific experiment in which he attempted to creature an immortal version of his so called successful experiments. He did achieve immortal creatures in a way but he was unable to prevent them from decaying-”

“Are you supposed to be telling us this,” Archer asked, bewildered.

She shrugged. “I personally believe that more people need to be made aware of this man,” she stated turning her gaze to Michael who sighed in response, turning away from her.

“If you guys know what this man is doing and what he is capable of, why don’t you go get him? It was only one man,” Brendon demanded.

“It wasn’t just one man,” Mackenzie mumbled. “Mortal Hunters spent years hunting him down but he would elude capture by sending his creatures elsewhere to throw them off his scent which resulted in the loss of quite a few soldiers.”

“Their saliva is contagious,” Harmony explained. “A good bite will instantly put the virus inside you and until recent years, there was no cure and that was if you were only  bitten. They would outnumber Hunters are tear them apart leaving them to die before they could even be infected,” wincing suddenly before slowly turning to Michael who stood with his arms crossed over his chest and a hard look on his face.

“Not to mention if they did get him then his zombies would’ve been left to freely roam and multiple,” Shane added.

“But there is a cure, right?”

“My mother found the cure,” Michael stated suddenly. “But the results of this cure have yet to be tested since she was left to die by her fellow scientists.”

Harmony shifted uncomfortably before saying, “Mich’s mother was a scientist researching the cure and she supposedly found the cure but was attacked by the final remaining test subject that was left from Helms’ onslaught.  Since then there have been no subjects to test the cure on.”