Chapter 9

Back when I was a child... Before life removed all the innocence... My father would lift me high... And dance with my mother and me and then... Spin me around till I fell asleep

Then up the stairs he would carry me... And I knew for sure I was loved... Later that night when I was asleep... He left a dollar under my sheet... Never dreamed that he... Would be gone from me If I could steal one final glance... One final step... One final dance with him... I’d play a song that would never ever end... Cause I’d love love love to... Dance with my father again... If I could get another chance

Another walk another dance with him... I play a song that would never never end... How I love love love to dance with my father again... I know I’m praying for much too much... But could you send back the only men she loved... I know you don’t do it usually but dear lord she’s dying... To dance with my father again

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Weeks had passed, at sa halos araw-araw na pagsasama ng dalawa ay lalong tumibay ang nabuo nilang pagkakaibigan. Nakatagpo ang mga ito ng taong nakakaunawa sa sitwasyon ng bawat isa. Hindi pa rin nawawalan ng pag-asa si Gerald na balang araw ay magkakabalikan sila ni Kim. Habang si Sarah naman ay unti-unting natututunang mag-open up ng kanyang nararamdaman sa binata. Naging palagay ang kanyang loob kay Gerald. Ayaw niya itong nakikitang nalulungkot kaya’t sumang-ayon ito sa request ng binata na tulungang gumawa ng paraan para balikan siya ng dating kasintahan. Lingid sa kaalaman niya ay lihim palang nakikipagcommunicate si Gerald sa kanyang Ate Kace. Humingi si Kace ng pabor kay Gerald na kung maaari ay iuwi nito ang kapatid sa kanila at kung pwede ay manatiling lihim ito sa dalaga dahil baka hindi ito pumayag kapag sinabi sa kanyang iuuwi siya nito. Sinabi rin ni Kace na kung maaari ay huwag nitong sabihin kay Sarah ang kalagayan ng kanilang Ama at siya na lamang ang magsasabi dito. Ipinaalam ni Gerald kay Angge ang kanyang plano at sumang-ayon naman ito.

At dumating nga ang araw na pinangako nitong iuuwi niya si Sarah sa kanila. Ang alam ni Sarah ay sasamahan lang niya si Gerald kunin ang mga importanteng papeles sa kanyang opisina tsaka babalik din agad ang mga ito.

We're half way to their residence before Sarah realized where we're heading. She doesn't want to go. She tells me she's not ready. 

"Turn around." She commanded. "Or let me out right here." 

I hold her wrist to keep her in the car. I try reasoning with her, reminding her that she has to do it. I keep driving. I know she's not a child, but I do believe that what Sarah needs, now and then, is someone to take charge, someone to guide her down the path she's too scared to go down herself. She argued, fussed about what I was doing but I said she needs to do this. And one block away from their house, she asked me to drop her first to where her mother is. 

She asked me to stop at the cemetery up ahead. She said she hasn't been there since she was a kid, the only place where she still feels connected to them, to her Father. "Thank you." The last thing she said before entering the cemetery.

I just stand there scowling at the headstone. I walked around in a few times, in a circle. I am not sure what to do now. Do I stand up and look at it? I sit, rest my feet in front of the stone, cross-legged, and wonder if I am being disrespectful or sacrilegious. I figure it doesn't matter, and if it does, my Mother would understand.

"Hi Mom" I say in my head. "Hi Mom". I try again. This time, I say it out loud. "Long time no see. I don't know if you can hear me, or if it really matters if you can hear me or not, and I am sorry I didn't bring flowers and that it took me years to come here. I am not sure what to say. Is it wrong to tell you about me? I could tell you about how much I miss you, which is more than you can ever imagine. I could tell you about how I think about you every day." She sighed. "Well, not always about you You, which I am sorry about, but I don't remember you as much as I should. And then there is the idea of you, and how you were everything to Dad, and how you were as their mother, and that you are not here anymore because of me, that I think about every day, the same reason why it took me years to visit you here. Because you know, the only picture I get every time I remember you is that I'm the reason why you died, and Dad doesn't fail to make me feel that way every single day of my life, which is the reason why I left. But I'm not mad with you because Dad makes me feel that way, I'm mad because I don't get the chance to hug you, that I don't experience that mother-daughter conversation thingy like you and Ate do.