18)

FOR THOSE WHO HAVEN'T GOT THE MEMO... READ CH. 17 WHERE YOU LEFT OFF AT. I ADDED MORE TO IT. IT WAS GOING TO BE PART 2 OF 17 BUT I DECIDED AGAINST IT AND LEFT IT HOW IT IS.

Xavier

I wasn't angry at Alaina, this wasn't her fault. I was angry at the situation. 

I stopped at Harmonny falls to collect my thoughts; clear my head. I had to figure out a way to fix this. Whatever this was started the night before the fight last year between Kayleen's previous pack, now Marcus', and Alante's and Alaina's pack last year.

FLASHBACK

I was on border patrol, making my rounds, when I was approached by a vampire. Avery much familiar vampire, I knew who he was. Dev. He was a part of James' coven. 

'Marcus there's a trespasser near the falls. Come quick and bring backup. Now!'

Dev then smirked at me, "Your mind link won't work around me, dog!" He said flashing his fangs. "What do you want Dev?!" I spat, balling up my fists, preparing for the worst. "Don't get so defensive, Xavier. I'm here on... Business." He said, that smug look still plastered on his face. "What kind of business?" I growled. I was getting impatient. "James has got a proposition for you."

"And what proposition would he offer that he couldn't come and see me himself?" I asked, irritated that I was even having this conversation.

"Oh Xavier. It hurts to know that you underestimate me so." Was what I heard next before James emerged from behind a few nearby trees and stood next to Dev, a low growl rumbling from the back of my throat.

"A couple of wolves don't scare me. Certainly not you." He said clasping his hands together in front of him.

"I don't have to listen to this and I'm not your playing vampire games." I said, turning to leave to save myself a waste of time. "But I think you'll want to play this game when your mate... Is a player in this." He said in a matter of fact tone. I stopped treading when he mentioned Alaina. Hating to admit that caught my, although uninterested, interest. I let out an exasperated sigh and turned to face him. Him smiling some what victoriously that he was able to recapture my attention.

"She is none of your goddamn business. So leave her out of what ever it is your planning." I sneered between gritted teeth. He let out a sinister chuckle, slightly tilting his head back. "See that's where you come in my wolf friend." He said, all amusement leaving his face. I would've commented back with 'we're not friends,'  but there was no time for that.

"You see, my friend here is a seer. He can see in to the future, as well as the past," he started, while taking miscellaneous steps as if he were a professor teaching a class, "and... It appears your mate as got something of mine, and I want it back." He said reconnecting his eyes with mine. 

"You're not going any where near her. So what ever it is, tell me and I'll get it." I told him. I'll be damned if he lays a finger on her, hell get close enough to touch her even. 

"Oh. It's not some thing you can just pick up and deliver." He said, that sinister smile returning. "I'll need to extract it from her body." 

"You're not sucking her blood. What good is it to you anyway?"

"It's not so much her blood in a sense, although, it does play a factor in this... game, as you call it, but no, that's not what I'm talking about."

"Then cut the bullshit, and get to the damn point!" I demanded. 

"Let's just say, she has an... h'm, energy source, of mine, running through her body." He said, a little bit more specific.

Now we were getting some where, some what any ways.

"And how were you expecting to get it? And how am I supposed to know you're not lying?" I questioned suspiciously.

"Xavier. Have I ever lied to you before?" He rhetorically asked. He and I both knew the answer to that. Which was no, he hasn't lied before, at least not to me. Although, his honesty wasn't pleasant, they were the unfortunate truth nonetheless.

I sighed, defeated at that non trivial question. "What ever it is you have to do, I have to be there. There's no way in hell I would leave her alone with you." I said, whether that was his intention or not. 

He chuckled darkly again, "Now here's where you play an even bigger role in this play. In order for me to do what I need to, all ties between you two must be severed. When Dev got a glimpse of what your mate holds near and dear to me, lucky for me, you haven't marked her yet and vice versa." He explained.

"So what are you saying?" 

"I'm saying that, in order for this to work out for everyone, what ever it is holding you two together, must be broken. All emotion must and love must be gone." I just looked at him angrily. I hoped he wasn't saying what I thought he was.

"You understand now don't you? She doesn't know you two are mates yet, but you do. Dev and I here know that tomorrow will be the day she finds out, and tomorrow is also a great opportunity to for you to... sever those ties, I mentioned earlier. She's going to be pretty stubborn with what you're asking and you are going to have to make a decision."

I scoffed at this nonsense. "You can't possibly think I'd go through with this." 

"I don't think you have much of a choice. Cause you and I both know that with or without your permission and with or without you, I can successfully get what I need. And me being a natural creature of the night, I can and I will. And I can only do so if you reject her." 

I couldn't belive this. He was asking me to reject Alaina. My mate. I shook my head from side to side, "I'm not doing that. I'm not accepting that defying proposal"

He then stepped towards me, I stood my ground, "A year from now I will be back, and if I see or sense that she's still emotionally attached to you, I will have to kill her. If you don't want to walk this earth alone and mate-less, I suggest you take me up on this offer." 

I could only heave angry breaths. What could I have said to that? James is ruthless. He would do it. My only response at this point was watching James and Dev walk towards the trees they came out of, "Oh and Xavier," he said stopping and half turning towards me, "If you tell her about this little... game. She dies." Were his last words before him and Dev sped off.

END OF FLASHBACK

How was I supposed to fix this? How was I supposed to come up with a way to make this problem disappear? How ironic right? The only thing keeping Alaina alive right now is the rejection and pain that I'm causing her. The fucked up part of this whole situation is that James never mentioned marking and turning her. But, that was James for you. He'll speak nothing but the truth and leave out bits and pieces of it. Even if he did tell me that bit, his threat to kill her would've remained the same.

I was stuck and for the first time in my life I felt defeated.

SHORT I KNOW, BUT THAT'S ALL I COULD COME UP WITH FOR NOW. IT'S 6 IN THE AM AND I AM TIRED. THE NEXT CHAPTER WILL BE LONGER AND WILL INCLUDE ANOTHER FLASHBACK TO FILL IN THE BLANKS. HOPE THIS CHAPTER ANSWERS YOUR QUESTIONS.

VOTE.

COMMENT. AND ALL THAT OTHER GOOD STUFF.