Chapter 6.

“Do you want me to bring you some ginger ale or something?” Emily asked while we were on the phone. I heard a beep, a text coming in. “that would be awesome, thanks. But hold on one second..” I said. I checked the message.

A baby is in the air!!!! Stock up on diapers, sweetie, you’re going to be needing ‘em. - J

I sighed. Jenna. She always sent me these texts. But If I told anyone about them, ‘my secret was out.’ one of my many secrets they knew. So I hit delete and kept talking to Emily. I had a change of clothes at Ezra’s house, you know just in case I come after school and stay till late. So I had sweats and a tank top on and had just been laying on the couch reading and watching tv. I was tempted to ask Emily to bring me another pregnancy test, just to double check. But I didn’t have time before there was a knock on the apartment door. “hey I gotta go, I think Hanna’s here.” I said. “alright see ya.” she said before I hung up. I got up and wrapped the blanket that I had been laying with around my shoulders and answered the door. “Hey Aria.” She said walking in. she slipped her shoes off and flopped down on the couch like she lived there. Of course, this was totally Hanna. “So I was meaning to ask you something..” she said as I sat down next to her. She took part of the blanket and covered her legs as well as mine. “Sure you can share the blanket, go ahead.” I said sarcastically. “awe thanks” she joked back. “so… Aria about today in the bathroom..” “Han.” I interrupted her. “Its not what you think, I have the flu.” I said. “But Aria you never get sick. And you don’t look sick. You would be puking right now if you had the flu.” “Not necessarily!” I said trying to hide my secret.. Althougth I have a feeling

she’ll know the truth by the end of this visit. “Yes, Aria you’d look a lot more sick then you do.” she said. “So what do YOU think it is?” I asked her. “well.. I noticed how you’ve kinda been hating on yourself lately… and you know.. When we went shopping last week you’re size had gotten smaller.. And I was just thinking..” “Whoa, Hanna you thought I….” “I just don’t wanna see you go down that path again. It was too hard on you the first time.” she said. “No! Hanna! I didn’t make myself throw up, I mean you saw me It was really random!” “I know, but .. I just worry about you.” she said. “Hanna I promise you. Its not like that.” “Good. I just really really hope that after all these years, and all we’ve been through, that every one can just tell each other the truth and stop keeping secrets from each other. I mean -” “Hanna,” I interrupted her. “I’m pregnant.”

Hanna starred at me for a second. “you are?” I nodded looking down. Did I really just say that? I thought to myself. I mean with all this talk about honesty I couldn’t keep lying to her. “I don’t know for sure yet.” I said. “But I think so. I hope not. but I think so.” I said my voice shaky and tears threatening to fall out of my eyes. “Does Ezra know?” she asked. I looked down. “Im gonna take the test as soon as he gets home.” I said. “or.. Maybe I shouldn’t.” I said changing my mind when I heard myself say my own plan out loud. “Maybe I should take it now, so if its negative I don’t even have to tell him.” “But he would want to be there for his son or daughter, and for you, wouldn’t he?” I down at the floor for what must have been a full thirty seconds, as tears started to fall down my face before she said. “it’s his, right?” I still didn’t answer her. Someone knocked on the door but we both just sat there starring at each other. “Aria, it is his… right?” she asked again. “C-come in” I yelled for Spencer and Emily to come in. “Aria answer me!” she said as both the girls walked in together. “what’s going on?” Spencer asked. I looked to Emily and Spencer, then back to Hanna who already had the answer she was waiting for and without explaining to the girls, I burst into tears. I buried my hand in my hands, so I couldn’t see anything. But I felt an arm around me a few second later. “Hanna what happened??” Spencer said and I felt another hand on my shoulder. Hanna didn’t say anything. I knew she was waiting for me to tell them. I picked my head out of my hands. Hanna’s arm was around me and Emily’s hand was on my shoulder. Spencer was sitting on the chair right across from me looking into my eyes. “Aria, whats wrong?” she asked. I looked to Hanna who gave me the “its ok to tell them” look. “I think im pregnant.” I said, but it came out much more childlike then I intended it to. Like a child crying about some monster in her closet. MY monsters name is Toby. And he’s not in my closet. Just on my bed.

**********************************************************************************************************

“Ok it’s on the counter turned over. I don’t know when I will actually be able to go look at it..” I said sitting back down. “Here” Emily said handing me a glass of ginger ale. “thanks Em.” I said taking it. “you never know, it may just be the flu.” Spencer said. “I don’t know, I haven’t thrown up since then. And I stayed away from Mike, I don’t think I caught it from him.” “is that why you think you might be pregnant?” Spencer asked. I didn’t know weather to tell them about Toby or not. So I just shrugged. “Aria, please answer my question. It is Ezra’s right?” Hanna asked. After getting around the question three times I finally answered. “No.” I said plainly. But I know she wouldn’t leave it at that. “Then who’s is it?” she asked. I looked from Hanna to Emily to Spencer. Then I remembered what Hanna said about us girls telling each other the truth. “Toby’s..” I said looking straight at Hanna. “TOBYS??” Emily said, yelled, actually. “Sorry” she muttered. “Aria, explain.” Spencer said her jaw tight. I took a deep breath. “Toby knows something. About my family. That he threatened to tell. And so the only way to keep him quite was to…” I look up at her knowing I didn’t need to finish. “Did he ask you to?” Emily asked. “or did you do it so he wouldn’t want to tell anyone?” “Oh, no believe me. He forced me to. Like he physically got me pinned down in his bed before I agreed to stop fighting.” the room was silent for a minute. “is holding the thing you and Ali did before she died over you..?” Emily asked. “yes, yes he is.” I said. “Aria.. that’s.. that’s really serious. What are you going to do?” she asked me. “Im not sure yet. Im thinking about it. But he also threatened to.. Hurt Mike for revenge.” I told them. “wow, Aria, im so sorry..” Spencer said. “Thanks. I just… I really don’t want to have to tell my child about her father, you know?” “I know exactly what you mean.” Spencer said. “Or, like look at him or her every day and see Toby in her.” Hanna said. “Not helping Han.” Emily said. “sorry” She muttered. “You should go look at it though.” Spencer said. My cell phone rang, and I picked it up. “Aria, where the heck are you?” Mike said. “OH my gosh! Mike! Im so sorry! Im, uh, im at Ezra’s. im soo sorry I forgot, listen can one of your friends give you a ride home?” I said. “you better hope they can.” he said before hanging up. “what kind of mother and I gonna be if I cant even remember to bring my brother home from school.” “You know Aria, as a matter a fact you’d be an amazing mother. But hopefully you wont have to quite yet.” Spencer said. “Why don’t you go look.” hanna said. I nodded at them and went back into the bathroom. “Guys??” I called. “Come here!!!!” the three girls came in. “What does it say??” Hanna asked. I looked up and smiled at her. “I think its negative."