Chapter 2.

I walked into the restaurant and sat at my normal table in the very back. I came here a lot. It was within walking distance of my house, so if I ever needed to get away I could come here. They had wifi, so I usually brought my laptop and did my favorite thing in the world - write. But this time I just brought a book, To Kill a Mocking Bird, and my cell phone to vent to Emily about what was going on.

“Can I get you anything?” I look up a the unfimiliar voice. A young, very attractive man smiles back at me with a notepad and pen in hand waiting for my order.

“Just a sprite, please.” I answered. I had never seen this man before. I know everyone who works here, by name even.  “Did you just move to Rosewood?”

“Yes. Just came back from Virginia. How’d you know?”

“I come here often. I’ve never seen you. How are you related to the Fitz?” I asked.

“Just married their daughter.” 

I laugh a little and shake my head. “They only have one daughter, and she’s eight.” I said.

“I know. I was just checking to see how well you really knew my family.” he said. 

I can't help but laugh at that.

“I'm a cousin. I was born here but moved to Virginia when I was ten. I just moved back looking to start a life here.”

“Very nice…” I said a little lost in his deep green eyes.

He smiles back, a little dazed, then his eyes start to study the rest of me. He stops at me book. “Oh my gosh, I love that book.” he said gesturing to “To Kill a Mocking Bird.”

“Really? My dad recommended it.” I said.

“You're reading it by choice? Not for school?”

“No, my choice. I love it. I'm actually reading it for the second time.”

“I'm thinking about making my class read that.. I’d love to talk to you about it. Get a students point of view.”

“Who said I was a student?”

“College, right?”

My heart skipped a couple beats. “something like that.” I said not willing to let my hot guy dream end just yet.

His eyes sparkled and he looked me over for a second, examined my pink rhyme stone phone, my nails - painted to look like the Indian flag. “So, let me go get that soda. And if it’s alright with you, I’ll get one for myself too and we can talk for a minute or two?”

“I'd love that.”

I watched him as he walked away. What just happened? Did this older guy just flirt with me?

I unlock my phone to text one of my friends but I just can't put words into a message. I just smile like an idiot at my phone before locking it and looking up to see the new Fitz cousin walking towards me with two sodas. 

“So, have you ever been to India?” he asked pointing to my nails as he sat down.

“I'm going next summer.” I answered. “Going with my church on a missions trip. As for the nails, well, I needed some motivation to get through the rest of the summer.”

“You mean the year?”

“No I mean summer. I miss school.”

He shakes his head slightly. “How old are you?” he asked.

“Turning eighteen in a couple months.” I answered. And for a second I felt like whatever crush I had on this man was just that, a crush.

“Eithteen is a great year. Specially for girls like you."

“Girls like what?”

“Down to earth. Real. Ready for life, now. Let me guess, you hate when anything holds you back from doing something you want. You get really good grades, you babysit a lot, you help out in your church, and all of your boyfriends have always been a couple years older than you. Am I right?”

“You’re so right that you must be a stalker.” I replied with a giggle.

“I would ask you out.. But I don’t know your name.” he said. “Mine’s Ezra, by the way. Ezra Fitz"  

"Aria"                                          

"Aria.. such a pretty name to fit a pretty face.

“Yeah..?” I smile slightly. "Thanks."

He opens his mouth to respond, but my phone interupts him. 

"Sorry," I say answering the phone. "it's my mother."

"Hey what's up?" I ask her way too fast, hoping Ezra won't get up and leave.

“Where have you been?”

“Fitz Food... But I'll come home now. See you at home.”

"Alright, see you soon."

I look up and sigh. "My mom wants me home."

“Oh, um.." The look of dissapointment on his face excites me. "Can I have your number?” he asks timidly.

I nodded and he handed me his notepad and pen. I scratched out my number under 'sprite'.

After putting in his number, he walked me to my car and we exchanged a very awkward goodbye. I don't remember a thing from the rest of the day, I just kept picturing his smile and those deep eyes. And as I pulled into my driveway, I heard the little 'ding' of my cell phone that made my heart race.

"This better not be a fake number. ;)"

I smiled so hard my face hurt. And we kept texting until I fell asleep at 3am that night.