Chapter 41

One month later

A month later, not much further. I'm not permitted to see Aria. "She needs full recovery, without any distractions from the outside world" they said. Bullshit, I said. I haven't seen her since that day Natalia called me. The last time I saw her was when they ripped her out of my arms and sended me home. I can hear her cries, her screams, they're carved in my mind. Besides all that, I've stopped my attempts to visit her because they're no use. After all the people at Radley know what's best for her, but the fact that I've accepted I can't see her doesn't change the fact that I've become a wreck. The days at school are long now that Aria is gone. Everyday I'm counting the minutes, waiting for the time to hit five 'o clock so I can go home and statisfy myself with a glass of scotch. It has become my daily routine, it has become the only way to calm myself down. Sometimes I let myself drag away, sometimes I'm totally wasted but I don't care.

I think Hanna knows about me and Aria. Everyday she's asking me if I'm okay, and where Aria is. "I have no idea, miss Marin, how should I know?" I respond, and Hanna will roll her eyes in response. She's the only one who's asking about Aria. Spencer, Emily and Alison don't seem to bother anymore.

I was lost in my own thoughts when suddenly my alarm rang. Another day of work, another day of pure torture. I sighed when I felt the cold, empty spot next to me and stood up from the lonely bed. I walked to my bathroom, took a quick shower, and brushed my teeth. Since I was a little bit late I skipped breakfast and jumped in the car, on my way to another long day at school. Once I got there, the sound of hysterical teen girls and the smell of sweat from the school jocks welcomed me as soon as I opened the door.

"Goodmorning Mr. Fitz" a little first grader smiled as she passed me

"Goodmorning Cynthia" I said and gave her the best smile I could fake. I made my way to my classroom, trying to avoid the teenagers with their weird hormones, I think I can never really get used to them. Except for Aria of course, but she is different. I splashed some water in my face to wake myself up a bit and entered the room.

"Fitz! Late again!!!" Noel yelled and threw a piece of paper towards me, but even though he was atletic, he failed miserably.

"Shut up Noel" I mumbled and started my laptop. I saw Hanna glaring at me from the corner of my eye, and saw her shaking her head.

"Why are you so boring lately?" Mona asked with that annoying voice of hers

"Why are you so rude lately?"

"I'm not!" Mona complained

"Get out Mona"

"I didn't even do anything?!"

"If I say get out, you get the fuck out!" I yelled, Mona gathered her stuff and walked out of the door. I took a deep breath and looked towards the class. They were all shocked, no one expected me to burst like this.

"Fitz, can I ask you something, outside?" Hanna asked and looked at me with that furious look she had in her eyes.

"Of course, Miss Marin" I sighed and walked outside. She stood in front of me, rushed her hand through her hair and took a deep breath.

"What the fuck is going on?" She asked and I just shook my head

"Stay out of it Hanna"

"No! I know this has to do with Aria, and I want to know how she is, she's my friend too" Hanna said and crossed her arms.

"Look Hanna, I don't know what you know, but-" I started but Hanna cut me off

"The only thing that I know is that you and Aria are a lot more than you pretend to be"

"Let me explain" I sighed and walked back to the classroom. "Guys, I have something important to discuss with Hanna. You're dismissed, do whatever you want to do, but don't do drugs 'till you're 21" I yelled and two seconds after that everyone had left the room. I dropped myself on my chair and Hanna sat in hers.

"Spill it" Hanna said

"Let's not complicate things. I'm in love with Aria"

"What?!" Hanna gasped and her eyes widened

"I- I thought you knew?"

"No! I thought you were just good friends!"

"No, I love her" I explained. "But she's not in a good place now Hanna"

"Wha- what do you mean?"

"Hanna, Aria is in Radley" I said, and the only thing I remember after that are Hanna's wide eyes and her loud gasp.

~

1:47 AM. Hanna is in my appartment, totally wasted. If school finds out I'm screwed, but I'm screwed anyways so I don't care. The girl is blacked out on my couch while I am trying to sleep on my bed.

2:27 AM. Hanna is snoring. I should probably get her home, but I have no energy to get up. I stare at a picture of me and Aria.

3:16 AM. An empty bottle of scotch next to my bed.

3:36 AM. The phone rings. I get scared because it's so late. I got up and answered the phone. Radley sanitarium.

"It's Ezra" I yawned

"Ezra, it's me"

"Aria?"

"Ezra, you have to get me out of here, they think I'm crazy, they don't believe me!" She panicked

"Why are you calling this late?"

"I'm not permitted to make a call" she explained

"Aria, you have to trust them"

"I can't"

"I want to help, but I can't"

"Ezra! Please!" Aria said and started to talk louder.

"I'm sorry" I wishpered

"Don't leave me!"

"I'm sorry, I love you" I said and had myself to stop crying. She sounded so lost, so vunerable.

"I thought you were different"