chapter 20

EZRA'S POV

I was laying on my couch, reading a bloody good novel when my phone beeped. I couldn't resist to shoot one glance at it, so I did. Although I wasn't planning on stopping with reading the book to read my message, I did when I saw whom it was coming from.

1 new message:
Montgomery, Aria

I stood up from my couch, unlocked my phone and read the message. I was extremely confused and worried when I finsihed it. What did she mean with "Know that if you ever need me, I won't be here anymore" and "Goodbye, Mr. Fitz, and don't be sad when my blood stopped running through my veins and my heart stopped beating."

I decided to call her to make sure she is fine, but no one answered the phone. It went straight to voicemail. I was getting more worried with every second that past, so I jumped in my car and drove to her house. When I arrived there, I saw all the cars were gone so I thought Aria was gone, probably shopping with Hanna or something. There was only one dubious element about this place. The door. The front door was open and you could walk straight into the house, so I decided to check what happened. I walked into the house but I didn't see or hear anything.

"Hello?!" I yelled but I didn't get a response. "Aria?! I yelled but I didn't hear anything. I checked the living room but no one was in there. I walked upstairs and saw one door was wide open. I walked in and immediately noticed it was Aria's room. Books everywhere, pictures of her friends, but when I walked to her bed I saw something horrible. There was blood at the corner of her nightstand and all over her pillow.

"ARIA?!" I yelled but still, I got no response. I ran downstairs and roamed my eyes all over the hallway. Where could she be? I walked to the kitchen and saw her phone laying on the table. I walked a few meters further and saw a bloody knife laying on the floor, along with a hand resting in a puddle of blood.

"ARIA!" I yelled and ran to the other side of the table where I saw a horrendous picture that will never fade from my memories.

Aria was laying on the ground, her hair was bloody, her wrists were cut open, hands laying in puddles of blood, eyes slightly parted and her chest was slowly going up and down, caused by her troubled breathing.

"Aria! Oh my god Aria, what did you do?" I mumbled and had to hold my tears back. I knelt down her body and pulled her head in my chest.

"Ez.. Ra" she managed to sigh and almost closed her eyes

"Aria! No, no don't go!" I wishpered and brushed her hair out of her face as my first tear landed on her cheek.

"I.. Have to" she tried to say in between her troubled breathing

"No Aria! I need you" I sobbed out, layed her head onto a pillow that I grabbed from the living room, grabbed some napkins, pressed them against her wrists and pulled her limp body into my arms. I looked at her vunerable body. Her eyes were almost closed and her breath got slower by every second that past.

"Hold on Aria, you're gonna make it" I wishpered and pressed a kiss against her forehead. I carried her outside and saw it was raining and storming, but that didn't stop me from helping Aria to get to hospital. I ran to my car as Aria nuzzled her head in my chest with all the power she had left. I gently layed her down in the passengers seat, ran to the drivers seat, started the car and raced to hospital. When I was on the highway, I suddenly got stuck in a big traffic jam.

"Fuck, fuck not now" I cursed under my breath and looked at Aria who's eyes were closed now. I had to be quick, really quick.

"Good evening folks, this is Rosewood news. Due to the big storm that's coming everyone is forced to go home from work. It's possible there will be traffic jams due to this problem, so don't be surprised if you get stuck in one. Be safe!" the man on the radio said.

"Crap!" I yelled and banged my fists against the steering-wheel. I looked at Aria who was barely breathing right now and didn't hesitate for one second. I jumped out of the car, ran to Aria, and carried her limp body in my arms. Our body's were soaking wet from the rain, Aria's wrists were still bleeding and her eyes were still closed.

"Hold on Aria, please" I mumbled and started running. I ran past all kinds of cars that were also stuck in this big traffic jam. Some of the drivers were yelling at me, some were cursring, but the only thing I could think about was getting Aria to the hospital. I ran through the pouring rain, blood from Aria's wrists and head was all over me, but I didn't care. I didn't even know I could run this hard, but after a while we finally got off the highway and I ran into a more quiet street. I was out of breath but I made myself run further untill I felt a small squeeze in my hand. I stopped running and looked at Aria who's eyes were slightly parted again

"St.. Stop. I'm not worth it" she sighed and took -for as far as possible- a deep breath. I looked at her soaking wet face and her faded makeup before I pressed a kiss on her lips.

"To me, you are"