Chapter 38

"We can make this work"

Aria and I were on our way home from the beach. The clouds finally broke and rain was pouring down. Loud thunders filled the air every once in a while, yet Aria and I were very happy. A big smile was plastered on Aria's face and my hand was resting on her tigh while I was driving the car with the other.

"We're goals" Aria blurted out which caused us both to laugh.

"Yeah, we are" I said but soon the smile on my face vanished. Of course we weren't goals. How much we wanted to act like it, and how perfect this moment seemed, we were far from that perfect picture. Aria's mood was switching every day, lately maybe even every hour. I was hoping everyday she would get better, but whenever she seemed to be happy she would have an even bigger regression.

"You helped me" Aria said and wrapped her arms around mine.

"I'm glad to hear that" I smiled and looked at the girl. She was staring out of the little car window, staring to the raindrops that were splashing apart.

~

"We're here" I wishpered and lightly shook Aria's shoulder. The girl had fallen asleep again, and how much I wanted to avoid it, I had to wake her up. We were both soaking wet and I had to avoid her from getting the flu. "Aria, Aria wake up" I wishpered again and this time her hazel eyes fluttered open.

"I fell asleep again, didn't I?" She chuckled and rubbed her eyes.

"Yeah, but it's okay, you're cute when you're asleep" I smiled and opened the car door for her.

"Stop, you're making me blush" Aria giggled and quickly jumped out of the car. I pulled my coat over her shoulders again and she instantly burried her head in my neck, trying to hide her face from the rest of the world. I quickly pulled Aria in the elevator and pressed on the right buttons before the elevator started. "Really Ezra, thank you for today" Aria smiled

"Hey, I would do anything for you, you know that" I smiled and soon enough we arrived at the right floor. I walked to the door, fumbled with my keys for a second or two, and opened the door. "Ladies first" I smirked an saw a little smile on Aria's face.

"Such a gentleman"

I walked towards the bathroom and filled the bathtub with warm water. "Aria! The bath is ready!" I yelled and a few moments later Aria walked in. "Call me when you're done" I said, pressed a kiss on her forehead and walked outside.

ARIA'S POV

"Call me when you're done" Ezra said before he pressed a kiss on my forehead. For the first time in what seemed like forever, I had this smile plastered on my face which I couldn't manage to hide. Ezra made me feel better, he made me genuinely happy. I stripped down and got into the warm, nice bath before I started to wash my long hair. Just when I was about to was my body I heard a sound. A blurry voice was talking to me.

"Aria" I heard. I looked around me and saw no one, yet I knew exactly who it was. It was the judge. "Aria" I heard again. His voice wasn't clear, it was like he was talking through something strange. It was a weird sound I couldn't place. "Aria, he's coming for you, you have to get out of here" I heard him speak which made me slightly terrified. "Aria, get out now you can!" He said and with every word he spoke his voice was getting louder and louder, weirder and weirder. I quickly jumped out of the bath and wrapped a towel around my body before I started to bang my fists against the bathroom door.

"Ezra! Ezra help me!" I screamed and kept banging my fists against the wood.

"Ezra can't protect you darling, Noel will find you, he will take everything away from you, he will make you do anything if you don't go Aria!" The judge yelled. "He's coming for me, and for you! Run!!" He yelled even harder this time. Although I couldn't see him, it sounded so real, so close. "Help!!" He yelled and suddenly everything went silent. Seconds after that the door bursted open and Ezra stood in the doorway. It was only now I realized I was crying and shaking on the ground.