Chapter 40: Now the runway lights are fading

Jack's POV

'Mom! You actually came!' Alex and I were stood in the airport arrivals area and my mom had just came through. Obviously I didn't know what she looked like, so Alex decided to make himself look like an idiot and hold up a sign with her name on it.

'Of course I came baby!' My mom threw her arms around Alex and I as we all smiled.

'Well.. How's your dad?' She linked arms with Alex and I.
'He's stable.. Barely. But he can talk, sorta.' Alex said quietly.
'Drop me off at the hospital. I'll sit with him and you two can go to school.' She looked at me.
'Are you sure..?'
'Yes. I'd like to see him.'
'Alright.' Alex smiled and opened the car door for her.

'So what school do you boys go to?' My mom smiled as she sat in the back seat of the car.
'Beacon Dulaney High School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.' Alex smiled as he drove along the streets.

I love the fact that my Mom already loves Alex as much as I do.

'Very funny, Alex.' She laughed.

It was a short drive and we chatted a bit, getting my Mom up to date on everything. We soon arrived at the hospital and let her get out of the car.
'It was great meeting you Alex! Oh and Jack sweetie, can we talk later? Just the two of us..?' My mom looked at me with wide eyes.

'Uh.. of course! Just text me or Alex when you want to be picked up and taken back to the house.' I smiled widely at her and she closed the car door, giving us a wave. Scott's mom had told us that she was going to take care of her today anyway.

'Jack, your mom is fucking great.' Alex smiled at me as he drove to school.
'She really is.. I've been missing out.'
Alex took my hand and squeezed it. 'So has she.' He smiled.

Alex's POV

'Sorry we're late.. we had to pick someone up from the airport.' I said politely as we walked into our first class 40 minutes late, so we'd only have 20 minutes left of the class. Stiles, Isaac and Scott looked up at us and smiled.

'You both had to pick someone up from the airport? It took two of you?' The teacher snapped.
'Yeah.. she's heavy.' I said jokingly. Obviously, everyone in the class saw the funny side of it except the teacher.
'Go outside, Mr Gaskarth.'

Oh for fuck sake.

I bit my lip and smiled, going outside the room and winking at my friends before closing the door. They were all still laughing at me.

'I don't tolerate sarcasm in my classroom.' The teacher stood in front of me, folding her arms. I'm way too lazy to come up with a sarcastic comment to reply with.
'Okay, sorry. Can I go back in? You're interrupting my learning.'

She looked fucking horrified.

But, she nodded. So I got to go back in and fist bump my friends.
'You're our leader, Alex.' Stiles laughed.
'I'm your fucking alpha.' I laughed back.

Soon our classes ended, and we were all sitting outside under a tree eating snacks at the end of the day.
'Are we all set for the dance?' Isaac looked up at us.
'Yeah.. all set. It sucks that it has to be on a Tuesday.' I wrapped my arm around Jack's shoulder.
'Well, at least it's that shitty teacher training day thing on Wednesday so we get the day off.' Jack shrugged.
'I guess. What are you guys wearing?' Stiles asked. 'I'm gonna judge your outfits cause I'm gay as fuck.'
'Smart casual, I guess.'
'Same here.' We all agreed.
'And we have the video to expose Jackson with?'
'Yup. Also, I contacted our exes Jacky.' I smiled deviously.
'What did you do, Lex?' Jack sighed and laughed.
'I pretended to his doctor, calling about his penis problems.'
'YOU DID WHAT?!'
'Okay, I'll tell you guys what I said.' I imitated a posh old man voice. 'Hello, is this Lydia Martin? My name is Dr Coal, I'm calling in regards to Jackson Whittemore. I'm his doctor you see and I can't get a hold of him, but he gave me your phone number in a recent appointment and told me I could ask you any needed questions.'
'Alex, you're insane.' Jack laughed.
'Wait shh I'm not finished. I told her if she could tell me about any symptoms that Jackson has, and if she's experienced any itching or rashes. It was a long shot, but she fucking said yes. So basically, Jackson has a sexual disease.'
'Oh my god.. but we can't tell the whole school that.' Stiles was trying to talk through his laughter.
'I thought that, until I got this text message yesterday before the fire.' I sighed, unlocked my phone and showed them the threatening text message from Jackson.

'He fucking started the fire?!' Derek clenched his fists and Stiles jumped onto his lap so that he couldn't stand up.
'Well, this is the only proof we have.' I locked my phone and slipped it back into my pocket.
'Shouldn't we tell the cops?' Zack asked, taking a bite of his apple.
'Well, I was going to, but I want to get to him first.' I looked at them.
'Nonono Lex...' Jack grabbed my hand.
'Do you remember the shit he posted publicly on facebook? All of the constant fucking abuse? And now this!' I stated and Derek nodded.
'He gets one more chance. Besides, he needs to be at the dance tomorrow so we can expose him in front of everyone.' Everyone agreed with Scott. He always has a calmer alternative.
'If a fight breaks out tomorrow after we expose him, let it happen.' Derek chewed his lip.
'Who would join in? Some of you guys will eventually have to break it up.' I asked the group.
'I would.' Isaac chirped in.
'Same.' Derek, Scott, Zack, Liam spoke.
'Sooo... Jack, Rian Stiles are staying out of it? Good.' Derek relaxed a little. 'Rian, you need to break it up. And Stiles, there's no fucking way you're getting hurt. Or even being put at the risk.'
'Same goes for you, Jacky.' Jack pouted at me.

I know Jack is strong as fuck and an amazing fighter, but I'm not letting myself put him at the risk. Stiles on the other hand, would look like a deer trying to ice skate if he tried to fight someone.

'Soo.. tomorrow after school, my house?' I smiled at them. My dad would probably be asleep or watching soccer, and my mom would love to see my friends. If she's not working again..'
'Yeah, Alex's house.' Everyone agreed.

Jack's phone buzzed. 'Alex, my mom says she needs to freshen up and was wondering if we'd be able to pick her up. But we have lacrosse practice..'
'I'll pick her up, I can miss practice or be late. Give me your house keys, Jack.' Derek stood up and held out his hand.

The fire in Jack's house actually didn't do much damage, because there wasn't a lot of wood in the house. So, there were builders there right now sorting it all out because Jack's dad has great insurance.
'You sure you don't mind?' Jack cautiously handed his keys to Derek.
'Course not. Her name is Joyce, right?' He took the keys and smiled.
'Aw, Derek's making a good impression.' Isaac sniggered.
'So are you fuckwitt, you're coming with me.' Derek grabbed Isaac by his hood and pulled him up.
'What?!' Isaac questioned.
'Tell your mom we'll be there in 10 minutes!' Derek waved, still dragging Isaac behind him.

When we finished laughing, we needed to get ready for practice.
'Let's kit up.' I said whilst wiping my eyes and heading into the changing rooms with my friends.

Soon enough the whole team began to file in, including Jackson.

'What the fuck do you think you're doing?' I squared up to Jackson.
'Extra credit. Coach says I need sports on my college application.' He smiled and pushed past me.
I turned around to look at the terrified expressions on my friends faces, including Jack's.

'Oh fuck.' Stiles sighed.