Chapter 19: You keep me safe, you keep me sane

Jack's POV

I sighed as I woke up on a Monday morning. Back to school.
To be fair, it wasn't that bad. I had great friends that made it less shitty.
I stayed in bed all day Sunday, drowning out the sounds of my dad shouting at me and smashing things in the kitchen. I don't even know what he's angry about, I never do. I don't even think he knows half the time, shit just happens and I'm usually in the way.

I got out of bed and stood in front of the mirror, staring at my naked torso. Yeah, my dad likes to tell me I'm a failure a lot and sometimes I just have enough, and I need that release. So I like to bruise myself on my upper arms, cause nobody will see them. Sometimes my dad will throw something at me that'll cut my skin. The only people that see my shirtless is my team, and they don't have time to stare. Even if they did, they'd just think it was from getting bumped into in lacrosse.

My black eye was pretty much done, but my nose was still bruised at the side. Fuck sake. I'm not going near Jackson ever again, and I don't think Alex would ever let me be near him ever again.

I sighed at the thought of Alex.

Why's he fucking with me? Is he still going to prom with me?

Ugh fuck. Prom. That's so fucking stupid. It's an excuse for people to get laid and drunk. If it wasn't for Lydia, then I probably wouldn't bother going. But I gotta keep up my reputation of 'the cutest boyfriend in school' which is a title that I share with Alex.

Ever since that fight he's been closer to her, always has his arm around her and he even kisses her on the cheek before they go their separate says to class. It's like he's shielding her from everyone else. It's so dumb. I don't wanna sit on the bus and watch them swallow eachother, so I stepped outside my room and padded downstairs to where my dad was sitting reading the newspaper.
'Hey dad?'
'Yes son?' Relief flooded through me. I'd got him in a good mood.
'Could you drive me to school today? Only I'd just like to avoid someone..'
'Of course son, hop up those stairs and get ready.'

Wow. That was surprisingly easy.

I smiled at him. I can drive, but there's no way he'd let me drive his car. He probably has work anyway so he'd need his car to get there.

I hopped into the shower, then stood in my room for a good five minutes choosing clothes. I went with a greenday hoodie and black skinny jeans with black converse. I felt like being all snuggled up in a warm hoodie today, even though it isn't really cold.

I went downstairs, grabbed my backpack, an apple, some water and some gum.
'Ready?' He smiled.
'Yeah dad, let's go.'

Alex's POV

Where's Jack?
I hope his dad hasn't hurt him or anything.
I'm on the bus on the way to school, Jessica sitting on my lap and making out with me at every possible chance she gets. Every time I look at her, all I can picture is her and Jackson. But I need to keep this up until prom, then I can be free of her. Then she can fuck whoever she likes and get as many diseases as she wants and have loads of babies.

Finally we arrived at school and it was time for this leech to get off me.
The bus had arrived late, so first class had already stated.
'I'll see you later, babe.'
'Mhm.' I mumbled as she pressed her lips to mine and tottered off. I looked at Scott and rolled my eyes, getting a pat on the back from him.
'It'll all be over soon.' He said reassuringly.
I gave him a half smile, and stepped off the bus, dragging myself towards the school doors. Religion was my first class, with Jack. I hope he's already sitting there.

I care alot about Jack. That's why Jackson aggravates me so much. When we were in Jack's house that night, I just wanted to hug him and protect him from everything in the world. He's a lil' baby, he doesn't deserve to ever feel sad.

And yes, he was sitting in religion, flapping his arm around trying to release it from his pocket. Thank god. He's okay.
'Our bus was late.' I mumbled to the teacher with a few other people walking in behind me.
'Jacky, what happened to you this morning?'
'My dad drove me.' He half smiled. I could tell he was still upset with me.
'Jacky, you look cute when you're trying to be mad.'
Now that just made him blush and hide his face. 'I can't wait to go to prom with you.' I whispered in his ear, making him blush harder and mumble 'Stop it lexxxxx' I chuckled.
'I wanna have one dance with you.'
'We can all dance as a group Alex.' He smiled.
'That's not what I meant. I wanna slow dance with you.'
He frowned. 'It's not possible.'
'Nothing is impossible.' I smiled back at him.

My mom wants me to get my hair cut before prom, and I can agree with her cause it's fucking gonna end up blinding me. So I told her I could get it done on Thursday cause we don't have practice.

'Alex, do you believe in the bible?' Jack looked at me shyly, biting in his pencil. I reached over and took it out of his mouth.
'Well, some people stay it's a storybook. I don't really have any beliefs I guess, I just hope there's an afterlife.'
'Why?' He tilted his head.
I smiled. 'Cause when I die, I wanna be able to see you again where nobody can judge us.'