Chapter 37 The Unravelling

“Get the hell away from her!” Ambrose growled, holding a protective stance in front of me while facing Balthazar.

“And let her die? Fine.” Balthazar threw his hands up nonchallantly before spinning around to walk off in the opposite direction.

I tried to protest but while opening my mouth more blood came out. Ambrose looked down at me, completely torn. Before all this, the worst thought was that I was turned against my will so there was a chance my human life could be saved. Now, my best odds were simply getting my soul back. I’ve accepted this and I had hoped Ambrose would too.

When his eyes met mine I began to cry. It was purely inaudible but as his gaze held mine and I pleaded with him to accept things for what they were. Ambrose buckled to his knees.

“Fine.” That one word, wasn't acceptance it was an involuntary decision. He held my hand in his and refused to let go.

I didn’t watch as Balthazar plunged into my neck. How old fashioned. Vampires could feed or kill anyway and they still chose the neck. I didn’t feel a single thing because my body had already gone numb except for the minor sensation of tingling of my hand that was in Ambrose’s hand. I wasn't scared, I wasn't remotely sorry for this choice because if it meant Tristan would die and remain dead. It was worth the risk.

I wanted to tell Ambrose how sorry I was and that I never meant to go against his wishes but this wasn’t personal. If it had been personal than I would have chosen against it. Only months ago I was disgusted by vampires, now I was turning into one of them.

Dalton stepped forward in the mess of a blur that I could hardly see and he placed his hand on Ambrose’s shoulder. I lost complete sight but it felt as if I could hear things in between consciousness.

“Come on let’s go. Her change won’t be pretty.” Dalton’s tone was as hopeless as Ambrose’s.

“I won’t leave her. Not now, not ever. I don’t want her to die feeling alone.” Ambrose gripped onto my hand a bit tighter, showing he would not under any circumstance leave me.

I squeezed his hand with the bit of strength I had before I felt my body almost begin to fall asleep and wake up every time my heart would beat. Slowly. Agonizingly. This was death. I couldn’t feel myself breath it was as though I was suffocating. Air being taken away and images blurred, sounds faded and the hero that I was suppose to be- would die with me.

“Where’s Nina?” Violet’s voice was faint and far away but her question was answered only seconds later.

“AHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.” A loud, ear-piercing shriek that sounded as clear as day was in the background.

“Oh Fuck.” Dalton managed to shoot out causing alarm. I wanted to stand up but I couldn’t even move.

“We need to get out of here- now.” Balthazar barked his command and that’s when I completely blacked out.

Great fucking timing.

******

I was sitting on a white plastic lawn chair in the middle of the field I was once at when I thought I was dreaming until I was accompanied by Uriel. Lovely,

“Trinity.” Uriel’s voice held so much accusation.

“Did I die?” I looked around frantically in a state of panic. Wondering if I was even able to handle the change. Perhaps I had just died and this was my fate.