The Alliance Chapter 7- Traitor

"So where are we going exactly?" Dalton asked walking just as quickly by my side.

" Right in the heart of downtown, There's Piper's Pub." I added smugly.

" I don't think your idea is very safe."

"Probably because it isn't." I smiled wryly at him.

"Hey let's race." I started racing off down back roads , nobody would be able to see me anyways the lighting was poor around here. Dalton sighed before catching up, the one thing I found amusing was vampires were quick so I finally had some competition. Now that I think about it I never really had any real friends I mean Father Oliver and Anna were great but they were so..... ordinary.

We finally made it to the bushes that was just past Piper's Pub. I was just about to stop running when Dalton stood directly in front of me scaring the crap out of me I didn't think and in an attempt to avoid running right into him I fumbled slightly and I may have fell on my ass. Dalton let out a little laugh, " You seem pretty comfortable around me for a vampire hater."

"That's a long story." I was about to stand up when Dalton gave me his hand to help me up, I just ignored his nice gesture getting up all by myself, I wasn't trying to be rude just simply stating I was not a child.

" Well apparently we have time." Dalton pointed to the Pub that didn't seem so jam packed as it usually would this time of night. None the less I climbed the tree sitting high up enough to see the Pub in plain sight.

Dalton flung himself up the tree sitting on the sturdy branch across from me.

" You were there the night my father died?" I asked already knowing his answer, he nodded and waited patiently for me to continue.

" Well I thought since I saw some vampires leave I assumed they were the ones that killed my father. I kind of had a hate on for your kind ever since. I'm not exactly sure how to act around your kind, no offense I'm still getting used to the idea."

Dalton let out a hearty laugh " We're still getting used to your kind too, most Elite Vampires stay in clans , move yearly we don't bother with humans it's too difficult." Dalton tried explaining but I wasn't sure I fully comprehended what he was saying.

" What do you mean too difficult , are we that tempting that you like just look at me and think you want to gobble me up?"

" Gobble you up?" Dalton couldn't help but smile at my stupidity. Now that I had a better look at
Dalton his face was nicely structured he was handsome in his own way. He had jet black hair that was neatly tied back a little with side burns, from the looks of it I'd say he died sometime in the early 1900's and he was maybe 30 when he died I couldn't tell for sure.

" Sorry since I'm asking ridiculously stupid questions , can I throw in one more?" I asked looking at Dalton intriguingly.

" Shoot, not literally though." He chuckled.

" What's your take on Dracula?"

Dalton looked at me almost as if to ask if I was being serious but since he knew I was on the topic of stupid questions he answered me.

" Figment of some poor saps imagination, I actually saw him get executed by real vampires. Poor lad was beheaded and his head posted on a pole, the vampires thought he was trying to expose them."

I looked at him in shock. " How old are you?"

" Why not a day over 32." He winked at me.

It was so easy to talk to Dalton and even though we might not have gotten along he seemed pretty down to earth for a bloodsucker. I heard a distinct sound of laughter when a girl and clearly a male vampire started to make their way towards us.

"Score, I knew I'd get lucky tonight." I hovered forward pulling out my bow and arrow and sat there silently waiting to make my next move.

" Be careful." Dalton warned me in nearly a whisper.

I had picked this tree because there was a bench directly below it and it was the perfect place for a vampire to attack their vulnerable drunk prey.

Before they made it to the bench the vampire was kissing the girl inching his way to the girl's neck. I decided it was too risky to wait until he bit her before I released my arrow going directly in the vampire's chest. The girl started screaming in a state of panic before trying to run off in the opposite direction.

I plunged downward being closely followed by Dalton as I grabbed the girl's hair and pulled her towards me. She started screaming hysterically which I found to be extremely over the top- worse than Ambrose annoying. I was about to knock her over the head when Dalton stood directly in front of the girl .

" You were just getting some fresh air, go back inside and call a cab home." Dalton stared at her as I noticed her face fell blank and expressionless.

" I was just getting some fresh air, I think I'll go call a cab home." The girl wrapped her arms around her torso as she steadily ( well as steadily as a drunk person can be) made her way back into the Pub. I looked at Dalton just completely astounded by what he was able to do.

" Compulsion? You can use compulsion on people and I can merely feel their intentions..... that's so lame." I shook my head walking away.

Dalton trailed closely behind me " You do realize I'm a vampire right, so naturally I see better at night , am faster, stronger, can hear better oh and use compulsion."

" Can you use compulsion on Nephilims?" I stopped walking through the trail and turned to look at Dalton.

" Never tried it before." Dalton raised an eyebrow automatically not liking where I was going with this.

"Try it on me! Just in case it does work don't make me do something ridiculous or stupid." I looked at Dalton who then grinned at me before looking me in the eyes.

" You are going to bark like a dog." His eyes lingered on mine for about a minute , I was calm and soothed by his voice however his compulsion had no impact on me what so ever. I found this extremely entertaining so for just the fun of it I went along with Dalton.

" Ruff ruff!" I felt idiotic to be standing here barking like a dog but hey I was curious to see whether or not Dalton would try to make me go back to the Safe House and sure enough that was his next demand.

" You are done hunting for the night , you will return to the Safe House."

I looked at him and rolled my eyes " Really? You're such a party pooper mate, let's keep going the night is young. If you're getting paid to babysit me you ought to ask for a raise." I smiled devilishly before walking the trail a bit further.

Dalton just sighed and walked next to me , making for quite the interesting company. " Do you usually just wander around aimlessly for hours?"

" Pretty well, some nights I sneak into the missions office and sneak through files following leads.

I guess I read to many Nancy Drew books as a kid." I felt warm and happy for that instant thinking about the first time my father had bought me some Nancy Drew books and Tristan got some Hardy Boys books and we'd stay up all night reading about mysteries about heroes and heroines saving the world one crime at a time. Back then I was completely deluded to the real cruel world or like Anna says " It's a dog eat dog world."

"You're something else you know that?" Dalton patted me on the back almost saying that I wasn't really that awful, which made me wonder all the things Ambrose had said about me but really what did I care?

"Nope I'm plain old ordinary Trinity Sage. Can I ask you something personal?" I stopped to sit on another bench that was dimly lit by one of the lamps that hovered by a nearby bridge.
Dalton sat next to me " Sure under one condition, you stop calling me mate." His expression was light but serious , I nodded in agreement before prying into his business.

" How did you become............ a vampire?"

Dalton's eyes fell on the ground and refused to move. " The Alliance has been around for.... centuries really ever since it was confirmed there were vampires back when I was growing up.

My father was in The Alliance, I wanted nothing to do with them so I became a blacksmith and took to my own business. Married with children, this was back in 1836. Our village of Hassay was small and one winter we were overtaken by vampires . " Dalton took a small pause as if remembering everything as fresh as I likely remembered my family. I sat a bit closer to him and watched him patiently relive the horror that I asked him to, feeling guilt I continued to listen.

" Back then Alistair was made head of the Elders, he had my father and some men stand post keeping watch. My father was killed along with many good men, I felt it was my duty as his son to make sure no one else lost their loved ones to those soulless demons. That's around the time I met Ambrose actually he was a younger lad and had a real future in the Alliance until Kassandra was murdered. That's another story altogether but Ambrose went on a rampage and destroyed anything in his path , I was by his side and well....I'm sure you can see the end result for yourself."

Wow, it's shocking how much someone will open up to you if you just really listen. I never would have thought they were actually apart of the Alliance I mean despite the many rumors that surfaced the Safe House. Poor Dalton had a family and after dying I didn't even want to ask if he saw his family after he turned , never growing old and watching your family slowly die from age and disease. I felt something weird I guess this was sympathy. My eyes felt as though they were burning as a tear slowly trickled it's way down my face, when Dalton noticed the look on my face he patted my back.

" It happens, that's life. It's what you do in the time that you have, that makes you who you are."

" I suppose so."

We continued walking side by side, I felt like we had more of a connection and on a different level, for two complete opposite we shared quite a bit in common. As we neared the end of the bushes I saw something protruding near the trees, there were a few figures conversing. I decided to move forward to get a better look but Dalton shook his head grabbing my arm and just as quickly almost as quick as a flash of light we were standing feet from where this conversation took place.

I was struck with a sudden feeling of betrayal when I saw Kovacs talking to two strangers. One of them stood tall and broad and was cloaked with a long black cloak not revealing any other details than that. The other figure however was a tiny slim built figure whom was hooded by a velvet coloured cloak. Thankfully she was on an angel where I caught a brief glance of her face, she was stunning in a way that had me staring at in curiosity. The woman wore long dark waves tumbling down the sides of her face as her blue eyes radiated from her, yup I was definitely jealous.

As Dalton and I stood there eavesdropping we managed to pick up a few things.

"Kovacs, tsk tsk we had an agreement." The man's voice was raspy and was spoken casually but came out threatening.

" Marlow, I'm not your little bitch. You want it done, do it yourself." Kovacs started to walk away in the opposite direction when low growling noises escaped the man's throat. It seemed to happen so quickly and maybe it was because of the dark that added to the mystery of what was going on
but under the cloak his body was shifting.

"Fuck, he's a werewolf." I watched in fascination, wondering if I ought to disturb their party and before Dalton had the chance to stop me I emerged myself into the equation just out of fun, to throw them off a little. I wasn't sure if I wanted to save Kovacs but I knew Alistair kept him around for some purpose beyond my understanding.

I stood there with my hands on my hips keeping a firm grip onto my blades, my intentions were to coax the man into coming in my direction as opposed to Kovacs'.

" Hey there puppy, did you want to play fetch?"

I chucked a blade into his back paw which slowed him down as he yelped in pain. I hadn't noticed the girl in the distance but before I could move out of the way she came at me holding a small framed revolver and didn't hesitate. Before I knew what hit me a bullet grazed my arm, which was a lot less painful then going into my chest which it would have done if Dalton hadn't of thrown himself in front of me. Only the bullet pierced him as he collapsed, the girl cowered away followed by her puppet master.

I leaned down onto my knees to see Dalton on his knees as the blood flowed out of his body, he didn't look so good. Vampires healed fairly quickly so I didn't understand why Dalton wasn't getting back up as though nothing has ever happened.

" I don't get why you're not healing, what's wrong?"

My face was struck with horror when I saw that not only had the bullet pierced his chest it was struck right through the heart. I started to panic as I tried to remove his hand from his heart. He was deteriorating at a quick pace, Dalton attempted to stand up and I moved him gently to the bench cringing about what I was about to do. He would not have been in this situation if it weren't for me, I couldn't just let him die. He leaned back and moaned in pain as the beautiful gold shimmer in his eyes started to slowly fade and I knew his life was coming to an end. I rolled up my sleeve and thrust my wrist into his mouth, Dalton looked at me and shook his head refusing to drink my blood at that moment I knew he actually wanted to die.