Chapter 32 The Discovery

Chapter 32 The discovery

The ride wasn’t so bad, a little long filled with senseless chatter from Violet and Emmaline but it was clear how nervous they were. They hadn’t heard from Prudence in a little while so they weren’t even sure what to expect if anything at all. Dalton sat in the back playing with an iPhone, at first I have to admit it was more than amusing every time he grumbled something about bloody ridiculous technology. The frustration of being so accustomed to something only to discover the new brighter future which unfortunately for our day and age doesn’t consist of flying cars.

“Oh hell. This piece of garbage just locked itself.” Dalton sighed in frustration before slipping the iPhone into his coat pocket.

“Here- let me see.” I extended my hand while looking at him with a big cheesy grin.

Dalton looked at me reluctantly before lowering his eyebrows in almost a form of pouting before he pulled it out and handed it to me.

“It’s not your fault old man. Your used to scribes and cave drawings. I can definitely see why this big, scary, wi-fi - app filled iPhone would cause you to feel overwhelmed.” I teased using a tone that sounded more like a psychologist.

“ I am not overwhelmed.” Dalton protested.

“Uh huh... then how does it make you feel?” I raised an eyebrow ,trying not to laugh at the classic shrink line when Emmaline began to laugh a little.

“ I bet he doesn’t even know what an app is.”  Violet interjected before we all began to laugh at Dalton. Luckily for vampires they didn’t blush when they were embarrassed or frustrated but it was easy to see Dalton’s annoyance. I kind of missed having people annoyed with me- as strange as that sounded.  

“The more you push your luck, the more likely I am to accidentally forget to save your life.” Dalton shot back in a less than serious tone.

“Mate, you wouldn’t let me die.” I reassured him before handing him back his phone.

“So why did you get one of these anyways if you hate modern technology?” I asked as I passed him the iPhone along with the instruction manual that was scrunched up next to the case.

“The woman said everyone had one of these and to be honest I’m not sure. I think I bought it just to shut the broad up.Her ranting and raving made me want to....” Dalton paused and before he could continue I took the liberty of finishing his sentence for him.

“Have hot, wild, ravenous- untamed sex with her?” I winked teasingly.

“At the time I was leaning towards feeding from her until she passed out while leaving her with a thank you note.” Dalton began to chuckle to himself.

I looked at him in wonder. Dalton had actually made a joke and if I hadn’t been so awestruck at the fact that it was funny, I would likely be laughing.

“And he has a sense of humor. Where have you been -fun Dalton ? Hiding? Suppressed for the last millenia?” I added suggestively.

I think I was finally starting to tread on Dalton’s last nerves with all my old age jokes because his laughter subsided as he looked at me with a completely serious and about to be scolding tone when he just began to laugh.

I couldn’t help but laugh too, I actually was worried for a split second that Dalton might be mad. It wasn’t until Dalton’s laughter came to a halt that I noticed what the cause of it was. Looking ahead in the distance I was able to see the Safe House.

I hadn’t taken into account what the Safe House might look like now but the second we drove close to it, my eyes were glued to the half collapsed building and the other half was just ruble. I had a stinging feeling just from looking at it. The trees and the field were completely untouched and most of the Guest House was still in tact. The door frame was mostly still there but just covered in soot and ash. The windows were blown out as shards of glass lay all over the concrete entrance and where there was once flowers by the doors was just dead earth covered in ruble. Long lines of yellow taped marked around the building with a warning sign that stated this building was un-safe. Ironic considering it used to be our Safe House- our safe haven that I spent years teaching myself to feel safe again.