Part 20

(Part 20)

"Azazel did kill me." Eva explained, holding her intertwined fingers with Sparda carefully, as if the dream would shatter if she did anything too hard. "But he did it so that I could return as a human."

"I don't understand. Speak to us in English, Mum. Simple English." Dante raised both hands as if to show surrender.

"Our master –my ex-master now –didn't want me to stay angel forever. When the mission to save Sparda from Hell began, it appeared that Azazel had already been plotting with the Master to turn me back into human. But to do that, I had to die as an angel for my wings to be removed painlessly." Eva's patience shone through easily in the way she smiled gently at her son's confusion, as if Dante were still a young boy, asking innocent questions –like why you couldn't put Daddy Sparda's sword into Vergil because Vergil was being annoying.

"But why? Why did he not want you as an angel?" Vergil put in, half with worry, half with concern. Leah still laid limp in his arms, but his parents had reassured him over and over again that her vitals were fine.

They assured him that her daughter's vitals were fine as well. Vergil didn't want to think too much about what they meant now –more concerned with what had happened with Eva, and what was going to happen to them now. The reunion had finally come to the family after so long, and everything felt a little surreal. Never had Vergil truly imagined seeing his father and mother once more, alive and well, clutching each other's hand as if they would never let go.

"'Some people are purer when they are human', that's what the Master told me while I was floating in unconsciousness. I must have not been as pure an angel as I am a human now. But it matters not if I am angel or human now, because I am finally back to Sparda's side." Eva smiled at her son, leaned tightly into her husband's embrace and breathed her very own demon's scent.

The years spent locked in Hell hadn't changed the Sparda that she knew at all. Sure, he looked older and more haggard than he had ever been, but the lover that Eva knew was still around. Sparda was still the man that she fell in love with, still the struggling demon who couldn't seem to understand that it was him that she chose to fall in love with.

"Are you sure you are feeling fine?" Sparda's gentle, soft voice brushed through her, and Eva struggled not to shiver in the pure joy and relief of being back in this familiar embrace again. How long had she craved for this? Even as an angel, she had loved and pined for Sparda. Every single moment had been spent waiting for him, waiting for this moment where he would look into her eyes and ask her if she was feeling fine.

"I'm perfect with you, Sparda."

"Whoa, too hot! Things are getting way too hot here! If you wanna make another little brother or sister for us, you'd better bring it home and behind a door." Dante interrupted inappropriately, fanning himself with a happy grin. There was no mistaking the child-like glee behind those grown-up eyes, that happiness and joy of finally seeing his family as a whole again.

Never once had he imagined that he would see his entire family whole again, everyone grown up, well and fine. He even had a sister that he never imagined he had! It would still be a little hard to consider Leah his sister-in-law now that Vergil and Leah were engaged, but he guessed he would have to deal.

"You're not four years old anymore, Dante." Sparda answered with a small smile. "I assume you will understand the sock on the door very well in future."

"Yeah, well, it's going to be a metaphorical door, because I get the feeling that no one here has a house. Am I right?"

"What happened to Devil May Cry?" Vergil asked, even though he would admit that the state of filth and decay that he had witnessed in the building probably made living there toxic.