Part 12

(Part 12)

Someone new met me at Marielle's doorstep alongside Azazel. For a single moment, I thought even that asshole of an angel had gotten himself a girlfriend. I stood there for a short while, wondering why I found her so distantly familiar.

But when Marielle caught sight of her standing beside my oh-so-friendly angel of death, she squealed like she had just met her biggest idol. The beautiful woman only smiled indulgently in the way that I could best describe as 'motherly'. Nope, Azazel definitely could not have hooked in such a perfect woman. No way in a thousand years.

Contrary to what you belief, if I were to choose it, I could attain any woman I desire.

I gave him an evil eye, but didn't bother saying more as I turned my attention to the woman who was now attending to the freak-out session coming from Marielle –which I discovered over the weeks that happened only when something 'Devil May Cry-related' came up. By which I realised that Devil May Cry turned out to be a videogame franchise revolving around the Sparda story here in the Human World.

"Eva! Oh my god, you're still alive! I never thought I would ever see you!" Marielle attached herself to the woman, hugging her and jumping up and down. I blinked in surprise at the hyped reaction, not sure what to make of such happiness. The name 'Eva' didn't strike much of a bell, but that face was seriously...

"I am glad as well to be able to meet you. My daughter told me many things about you, particularly how you were the best younger sister someone could ever have." The woman named Eva answered gaily as well, smiling happily at the open expression of joy from the young teenager. Marielle, true to her age, hadn't seemed to grow up enough realise that Azazel was still around. The man's (or angel) rude attitude was like a plague, and he tended to focus on someone's blissful happiness, and drain it dry until that person became irritable and constantly annoyed in his presence. Very much like what happened to me.

It happened only to you in particular, Max.

I didn't even bother reacting to his mind-reading anymore. I had nothing much to hide that he hadn't already read about in my mind anyway.

"Yes, Leah told me everything about you as well! You're the world's greatest mother! I know I shouldn't say this, but thank you for giving me such a loving sister!" Marielle gushed, still squeezing her arms tight around poor Eva. I had a little trouble following their conversation.

Was Marielle trying to declare Eva as her mother or...

Wait, wait, Eva was supposed to be Leah's mother. Marielle was Leah's sister, but not Eva's daughter. Then... Eva was... Lily's mother?

Yes, dear Max. I am Lily's mother, which makes me Leah's mother in Limbo as well. This time, it was a feminine voice that pierced through my head, and I realized there and then that everyone in acquaintance to Azazel –or someone who knew him well enough to tag along in his 'mission' –had to be supernatural.

If Eva was Lily's mother, then didn't that make her...

Yes, I am Dante and Vergil's mother. I thank you so much, Max, for agreeing to save my husband from Mundus. You were not part of our family woes, but yet you still agreed to help us out. Words cannot express my gratitude, dear Max.

I wisely avoided griping over the fact that Azazel had forced me into the mission. Instead, I only smiled widely at her, finally understanding why I found her face so familiar. I had seen her features on Dante's shaven face, after all.

"I would love to stay and chat with you, Marielle. But as Azazel must have explained to the both of you yesterday, Max is on a tight schedule. We have to be off, or we will be late." Eva explained kindly and patiently, as if speaking to her own children. I sighed, not sure if I wanted to let Eva know exactly how useless one of her son had turned out to be.