Part 16

(Part 16)

He came up to her side while she cried her eyes out, dabbing the tears away delicately with a handkerchief. She didn't know what the best emotion to describe her feeling was -pride, relief, or just pure joy. They had finally done it, after such a long painful period.

She had been forced to stay put where she was, and was not allowed to leave to help despite all of her begging and attempts. She had even tried to go against orders, but it was nothing that she could do as she found herself entrapped in a place that she used to love and be comfortable with. But now that the worries, the heartbreak and the pain was over, she no longer hated the fact that she was in confinement.

But, it didn't mean that her faith hadn't changed.

"They're finally together again, huh?" He commented plainly as he took a look at the screen. It was like he didn't care at all, and while she had forgiven it as part of his characteristics at first, she was beginning to wonder if he even cared at all in the first place. Was he trying to hide the fact that he was happy for them, or was he really nonchalant about everything that was happening?

The plan that he had come to her with was not going the way she had expected it, and yet he seemed to have anticipated every situation. It was as if he had planned for everything to happen all along, and she was getting a little suspicious, doubting whether her faith had been placed upon the right person.

But he had once been her daughter's guardian angel. He was now her husband's guardian angel. She had always banked on the fact that Sparda was his ward, trusting that Azazel would never do anything in his plan to harm anyone in her family. She knew that her husband would never forgive anyone –even if it happened to be his own guardian angel –if he harmed their family.

With a flick of her hand, Eva turned the TV that had grabbed her attention off, and forcefully wiped away the last of her touched tears. Leah and Vergil were still going on strong despite the fact that her daughter was still afraid to tell her now-fiancé about the pregnancy. Eva knew that Vergil would never lose his top at Leah, and knew that her son would only love the unborn child and the mother even more.

Azazel didn't seem very much surprised at her forceful actions at all, as if he had anticipated –once more –her reaction.

"You need to tell me what is going on, Azazel." She began lowly, hoping to sound threatening. She had always appeared to be a mother in front of him –because that was all he knew her as –but he needed to understand that she was a strong woman as well. Eva was, after all, the wife of Sparda. Sparda never possibly could have just randomly picked a weak woman off the street to make a wife. "Things are going very differently from what you told me. I've worked with you long enough without asking questions. Shouldn't you start giving me some answers?"

The angel of Death smiled, but Eva wasn't sure if she wanted to trust this friendly façade anymore. Just because he had helped her daughter once didn't mean that he couldn't turn evil. She wasn't naïve enough to believe that angels were pure forever. The story of Samael and his fall into being Mundus had been a prime example.

"Yes. It was my intentions in the first place to separate Dante and Vergil. It was my intentions for them to never rely on each other's support until they met in Hell. I deliberately pulled Max into this mission. I deliberately led her to Dante, and I wanted to bring her to the Human World, and not meet Leah and Vergil until they go to Hell. I kept you here because I want Vergil to focus on his problem at hand. I cannot have your son tripping up because of something as pesky as love in Hell. I have a reason for everything that I did." Azazel answered, not even showing a single sign of remorse. It became quickly clear to Eva that she might have been trusting the wrong angel the whole time.