Part 19

(Part 19)

Time passed, and still the peaceful silence descended over them. Rather, the peace was permeated by a solid atmosphere of grief as they all knelt, shedding silent and unseen tears. The men refused to show their weakness outwardly, but Leah didn't care. She didn't care that the guys weren't crying, because she had genuinely loved the woman who now laid limp in her father's arms.

At least Eva had finally returned to her lover's embrace. It was the only sort of consolation that Leah could tell herself, as she cried her cheeks wet. All the troubles getting into Hell, being forced in a mad rush since getting the threat from Azazel... nothing mattered to her anymore as she held on to her mother's limp hands, crying her eyeballs out.

Sparda himself spoke no words at all, simply holding tightly to his wife's body. He cradled her as if she were merely in a deep sleep, and knelt reverently with his lips pressed against her forehead. He never should have met her... he never should have answered to his heart and loved this poor woman. Sparda knew from the start that courtship with a woman only meant heartbreak. It would only happen to their family sooner or later.

And now, it had happened. The fact that they were angel and demon had made no difference in the fact that they could no longer be together.

The knowledge that they were separated in the years had passed hadn't struck Sparda down so hard as they did at the moment. Sparda knew that he might never be able to see his wife alive again when he went charging down in Hell to protect his children from Mundus. But back then, he had the promise that Eva would be turned into an angel after she passed on, which settled his worries. Eva, even after she died as a human, would be resurrected into a beautiful angel.

Sparda had acknowledged that it meant that he would never be able to be with his wife in holy matrimony ever again. But the fact that Eva was now killed as an angel...

It spoke for the utter loss Sparda had to go through. There was no more assurance that his wife was doing well, safe and guarded. There was no more knowing that Eva was enjoying herself, being a pure angel -the very trait that Sparda was attracted to in the first place.

It was his eldest son -the most mature of his children -that finally spoke up to break the sorrowful silence. Sparda didn't say it, but he was utterly proud of his children, particularly in Vergil.

Even locked in Hell, Sparda had heard rumours. How Vergil had struggled through his life, trying to accept the fact that he was forever labelled as a Traitor's spawn. Sparda had remembered fretting about Vergil's apparent thirst for power, and had almost been disgusted and horrified when he heard about Vergil stabbing his younger brother. But the rumours eventually changed, and Sparda heard stories of Vergil ending up living with Dante, killing demons together. And then Vergil had met Leah, and realized about Lily... It had been a long journey for his sons, and yet the road was not coming to an end for them.

"We should give her proper burial, and leave her where she belongs." Vergil interrupted the silence with his soft voice, a hint of sadness that only his fiancée could detect. "It is the very least that we, as her family, should do."

"Fuck this." Dante exploded quickly, jumping to his feet and wiping the tears that had gathered at his eyes. His death-grip over the hilt of his sword was enough evidence to every one of his intentions. "I'm going to kill the son-of-a-bitch who did this. Where did that coward angel go?"

"Dante," Sparda finally spoke up, slowly looking up at his angered son. While he had been utterly worried about Vergil's journey in life, Sparda would also agree that Dante had caused him a great deal of stress. Dante never seemed to truly take anything seriously, and it had been utterly worrying when Sparda heard Dante being a good-for-nothing. Sons of Sparda were meant for so many more things, and yet his son was fulfilling such little of his destiny.