Part 2

(Part 2)

"Wake up." Someone part-groaned, part growled. It wasn't a nice tone of voice to wake up to, but I drifted back to reality just in time to hear the command being repeated again. I felt my world shaking, then realized it was just something shaking me.

Groaning at the headache that had built between my eyes, I tried to shift my uncomfortable position, and felt things shifting beside me when I moved. The smell entered my nose just a moment after, and I gagged almost instantly. It was by a pure miracle that I managed to keep my bile down, as I took careful shallow breaths to tide over the worst of the smell.

"Wake up." Someone growled again, and I opened my eyes.

It was dark, but there were faint lights from the streetlamps outside. We had to be beside a window, because the streetlights shined exactly on his face as he looked down at me in an expression that was a cross between a scowl and a frown.

"Who are you?" I groaned, pinching my nose a little in hopes to clear the smell of rot and decay. "Where am I?"

"That's a question I want to ask you." The voice grumbled in reply as lazy blue eyes looked outside the window. "What the hell were you thinking, waking me up like that?"

"I thought you were dying. Your breathing was shallow." I answered, fishing for the correct answers to his questions from the corners of my mind. I distantly remembered poking, then slapping and almost punching him. Then something had happened –I had felt something demonic –and I flew through the air, hit something and blacked out. But what was it? What had hit me? I had definitely never experienced anything like that during my demon hunting days.

"What year is it? From when I last woke up, people didn't hit others who thought were dying." He answered with a tone of such heavy disinterest that I wasn't sure if he was asking just for the sake of asking, or if he was seriously curious.

"What do you mean?" I asked warily, daring myself to sit upright, cringing on the inside with disgust when I realized I had been lying on a pile of decaying pizza boxes. "How long have you been out?"

"What day, month and year is it?"

I scratched the top of my head. "If I haven't been passed out for days, then it should be May 19th 2015."

"Which means I have been out since a year and three months ago." The man answered with a shortly surprised tone. "Huh, I figured I'll be able to stay asleep longer than that."

"What?" I repeated the question in my head, resisting the urge to dig the dirt out of my ears. I had to be hearing things. Did he just say he was 'out since a year and three months ago'? Was he actually sleeping for fifteen whole months?

"Shouldn't have woken up..." He grumbled, looking around as if finally taking a look at the mess all around him. "I forgot how messed up things was."

"Forget it..." He turned around from the window. "They aren't back yet."

"Who aren't back?" I asked on pure instincts, picking myself to my feet warily. I still wasn't sure how I had been knocked unconscious, but it was becoming obvious that the threat wasn't around anymore.

"Vergil and Leah. My brother and sister-slash-sister-in-law-to-be. I don't exactly know if they're married now or not."

"Where did they go?" I asked the most obvious question, but the guy simply shrugged, pulling his hand through his long hair, seemed to meet resistance of tangles, then gave up combing through it.

"Leah died and went back home to her world. Vergil fell sick searching for a way to get to her. Then he suddenly said something about our mother visiting him in a dream, telling him to prepare to see her. Viola, one day he just up and disappeared and never returned."