Part 8

(Part 8)

With heart in my mouth, I rang the doorbell nervously, then stepped back in hopes of looking like an innocent girl asking about a friend. God-knew what would happen to me if I declared that I was a demon hunter again. I had made the mistake of doing that once, and that had earned me many weird looks around.

When I tried to insist and prove my point, a few concerned individuals around me had whipped out their phones. I got the sense that they weren't going to call to verify my claims, and ran away before mental hospitals could pick me up. That was when I remembered and learnt that Leah Cartlier's world did not have demons.

However in the world did Dante's twin brother survive in this world without the lucrative business of demon hunting? It was an entire industry gone here! What had Vergil done here to make a living?

A million thoughts flew through my mind as I waited for the door to be answered –particularly nasty ones concerning a certain Angel of Death that I had met. After I fell screaming into unconsciousness, I had woken up in a homeless shelter, surprised to find my IDs changed. Whoever who had done the change had done a great job, because my name and face was exactly the same, but my address was all different. Any questions hadn't even been raised when I told the receptionist at the shelter that I was leaving, and when they keyed my name into their systems, they didn't say a thing.

Which was a total surprise considering how I didn't even know where the heck I had ended up in?

Eventually, I found a note tucked in the front pocket of my bag. It was written in a cursive handwriting that was feminine at best. But the contents confirmed that it was from Azazel. How did I know?

The words, 'Look for Leah's family, Cartlier' couldn't have been any better expressed icily. The only person I knew who could manage it was the emotionless, mind-reading damned angel of Death. Was he watching over me right now? If so, I hoped he knew exactly what I thought about that stupid, stinky, annoying and irritating angel.

Asking around had done me favours, especially when I wasn't proclaiming that I was a demon hunter. It led me to a relatively peaceful looking part of the city that I now knew as Chrisvale, at the doorstep of a suburban house with a post box labelled 'Cartlier'.

A million thoughts represented a long wait, so I thumbed the doorbell once more just to be sure after my millionth thought. This time, the wait wasn't as long when the door opened, and a teenage girl opened the door, still rubbing her eyes sleepily.

"Yes?" She asked, blinking blurrily. It was obvious that I had woken her up from sleep, but the question was why she had been sleeping while the sun was hanging high in the sky. As a demon hunter, I was sometimes used to sleeping in the day (when I needed to hunt demons at night), but this was the Human World. Was sleeping in the day something of a norm here?

"Hi, Um..." I hesitated a little, looking her up and down. She wore a bright pink fitting shirt and shorts that showed an impressive amount of legs. She was tall, but not taller than I was. Also, she looked younger than Dante, which could mean that she could be Leah Cartlier. Dante had told me that his sister was supposed to be two years younger than him.

Nope, this girl looked like she was still struggling in her late teens, not twenty-six.

"I'm looking for Leah Katherine Cartlier. Is she around?" I asked as pleasantly as I could, considering I had woken her up from whatever peaceful sleep she had been having.

"No." She answered shortly, covering her mouth in an unglamorous yawn. "My sister's isn't home."

"Um... When will she be back?" I asked tentatively, not very sure what to make of her short grumpy reply. Was she being grumpy because I woke her up, or because I touched a sensitive subject?