Part 3

(Part 3)

"Leah?" The worried voice of someone I knew very well sounded close in my ear, as if he were right next to me. I stirred a little back to reality, a painful ringing in the back of my mind rising in decibel as if a cue had been given. "Leah, are you alright? Wake up."

He was calling me, but I didn't feel like getting up. I felt tired –tired and battered. I had been sent flying into worlds by Azazel before, but this was something else entirely. I had never felt so tired since... I don't even remember the last time I felt such a lack of energy.

"Vergil?" I ventured to whisper, knowing he could hear me when I heard sounds of someone shifting even closer. The warmth at my side was comfortable, but I was too drained to even move towards him. "I'm tired... Let me sleep a little..."

"Leah, you shouldn't." There was a certain seriousness in his voice that I couldn't completely ignore. Vergil always let me have my way when we were living together in my world, and so I had learnt that when he cautioned me of anything I shouldn't do, I was better off listening to him. Besides, my boyfriend tended to know things. Maybe it was his instincts as a half-demon, or a son of Sparda, but it changed no fact that Vergil just knew things.

"Will it be bad... if I sleep?" I muttered softly, already feeling the welcoming arms of sleep claiming me. It didn't feel very bad –it didn't feel like something bad was going to happen if I fell asleep.

"Yes." Vergil's reply was short and worried. "Please open your eyes."

I sighed, and forced myself to obey my boyfriend. Vergil knew things, and I trusted that he would explain it all to in due time. All I needed was to open my eyes.

Around us was darkness, but I saw that we were lying in the alley between buildings.

"Where are we?" I asked softly, smiling a little when I saw that Vergil was hovering worriedly above me. No wonder I felt something warm against my back. I was leaning against his legs and he was most probably propping me up.

"Back home." He replied vaguely, but there wasn't a smile on his face. "Leah, you must promise me that you won't sleep."

"I'll try. But why?"

There was a single flash of conflict in his eyes, before he looked away hastily, as if it could erase the look I saw in his eyes.

"Why? What's wrong with me, Vergil?"

"When we're in Limbo..." Vergil answers softly. "Lily is a problem for us."

The words lost themselves from my mouth as I looked at the perplexed expression on my lover's face, trying to decipher what was meant by that face, paired with his refusal to look at me. Was he getting disturbed that he had been in love with a person who was supposed to be his sister? When we first started dating, he had assured me that it was fine. But that was before Lily became powerful, and before I died.

That was before Vergil came into my world to live with me. Now that we were back in Limbo, where Lily was a very real threat to my own life, was Vergil going to be uncomfortable with it?

"It's not what you think." Five years living together must have taught Vergil about how my mind worked, because he seemed to directly answer my rapidly-derailing thoughts. "I'm not going to break up with you because of my sister. I'm not going to love you any less just because you have Lily as a demonic side."

I don't know if the tears in my eyes were touched tears that he knew me so well, or scared tears that he might just up and leave me anytime.

"B-But... you said she was a problem for us now that we are in Limbo..." I was no longer feeling as lethargic as I was moment ago, but I guessed it had something to do with the fact that my heart was pounding loud with the fear that my loving boyfriend would breakup with me just because he had sibling problems.