Chapter 30

Hey guys,

First of all, I wanted to say that one of my editors, AshleeTherese, just posted her first story. It’s called “My Love and Savior”, so if you have some time, please check it out. I dedicated the chapter to her, so just click on her picture. :)

I’m so sorry about the late update, but I did my best. 

This chapter was edited by silverangelwings12. Thank you so much, girl. =)

She also made the amazing banner. You go girl!

I hope you like this!

Chapter 30

Adrian

Vicky didn’t answer my phone call last night. I tried to text her as well, but again, no reply. It was unusual of her not to talk to me at all and even though the rational part of my brain kept telling me that her phone probably ran out of battery, I couldn’t shake the feeling that something was wrong.

I finished my breakfast just when Leah came downstairs.

“I’m so late!” She exclaimed, taking a seat in an empty chair. “I’m so lucky that you’ve made breakfast, Mom, I still have to find my math book,” she continued, referring to the eggs and toasts mom had prepared for us, and shoving a huge piece of toast in her mouth.

Mom, who was sitting across from Leah at the table, grimaced. “Slow down, honey, you still got ten minutes. Besides, I’m sure Vicky won’t mind waiting for a bit.”

“Yeah, you’re right,” Leah nodded in agreement and turned to me. “Are you ok, Adrian?”

I’ve been sitting in silence, looking straight ahead and barely heard her question. “Sure,” I managed to mumble. “It’s just that I have an important exam today,” I lied.

Leah nodded, absently, too focused on her food now.

Mom was already washing the dishes when I looked at the time. If I was lucky, I could talk to Vicky for a few moments before Leah went outside. Following my morning routine, I kissed Mom and Leah’s forehead, grabbed my bag from the counter, and headed outside.

Vicky wasn’t there, so I put by bag inside my car and leaned on it to wait for her. I didn’t take my eyes off her front door, except to look at my watch. Every minute seemed like an hour, which left me in a restless state. I didn’t know why I was so nervous, but even my heart was beating faster than normal.

She came out five minutes later wearing dark jeans, a gray shirt and her converse. She had her head down while she slowly walked to her car.

When the feeling that something was wrong intensified, I walked to her as fast as I could. She was already holding the keys to open her car’s door when I reached her. Startled by my sudden appearance, Vicky gasped and  her hand clutched her heart, looking up with wide eyes.

In that moment, I wanted to hit something. She had bags under her reddened eyes. It was clear she had been crying. 

“What happened?” I stepped forward, running my thumb over her cheek. Now that I was closer, I could see her eyes were swollen. She probably spent the night crying. But why? We were fine last night when we said goodbye.

Without saying a word, Vicky jumped in my arms and started sobbing with her face buried in my chest. I instantly hugged her back, not knowing what else to do. I felt powerless. I had no idea what was going on and even if I asked Vicky, she wouldn’t be able to reply until she stopped crying.