Chapter 6

Chapter 6

Adrian

It was Sunday morning and I was eating the pancakes my dad made for breakfast. He always cooks on Sundays.

All the family was chatting about our weeks. I’ve spent a lot of time in dad’s office lately and we were talking about it.

“So, Vince, how’s Adrian going?” Mom asked him.

“He’s already one of the best at our business. If I didn’t know better I’d say he’d already graduated," dad said proudly.

“It’s really good to hear that," mom replied.

“I wouldn’t say that. There’s just so much to learn," I explained. I know my dad trusts me, but sometimes I feel a little insecure.

“Oh, honey, don’t be so polite. We are all very proud of you.” Even Leah nodded in agreement with our mom.

I was getting a little uncomfortable, so I tried to change the subject.

“So Leah, how’s the photography club?”

She grinned. That girl loved her camera. “It’s fine.” She said and continued “That reminds me that I have to tell you guys that we’re going on a fieldwork in a few weeks.”

“That’s wonderful” mom cheered. “Where are you going?”

“We’ll just go to nearby cities to take some shots at the nature around”

“How about school?” Dad asked.

“It’s just a week, so it won’t be much to catch up later”

“Ok, so have fun," he added.

We finish eating and I took my plate to the sink and headed to my room. I didn’t have plans for today, so I just lay in my bed, trying to come out with something to do.

Suddenly I remembered that that SOB’s leaving today. I still can’t believe he tricked Vicky like that. She’s such a sweet girl and didn’t deserve being treated that way. When I heard him say all that awful things yesterday I nearly punched his face. I’m not a violent guy, but honestly, who would blame me?

Vicky seemed pretty shaken, what made me really worried, so I hugged her to comfort her. She looked so fragile that in that moment I felt like I needed to protect her. I hope I didn’t scare her, though. I don’t act that way often, but I couldn’t let her think she isn’t special. She’s one of the most wonderful girls I’ve ever known and I had to tell her so.

God, how is she right now? I know she didn’t talk to Leah about it, so she must have been taking it all by herself.

That got me wondering if Leah was ok. I’ve been so busy lately that I hardly see my little sister anymore.

I decided to talk to her a little, let her know that I’m here if she needs me, so I got up from the bed and went to her room. She was laying on the bed, listening to her Ipod.

“Hey sis, can I talk to you for a sec?” I said, sitting beside her on the bed.

“Sure, brother, what’s up?”

“How are you?” I asked.

“Hum, Adrian, I’m not sure what you mean," she said, confused, with an eyebrow raised.

“It’s just that it’s been a while that we don’t hang out and I’m feeling like a bad big brother.” I explained.

She frowned, but answered, “Yeah, everything’s fine, there’s nothing to worry about; and of course you’re not a bad brother. I know how busy you’ve been helping dad. You may be a jerk and a man-whole, but are still the best big brother of all times!”