Chapter 27- The Daughter of Fire

McCoy:

A surname with irish origins meaning son of fire

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The springs on the worn out mattress squeaked  as Cassandra fell on it and sighed. Another day at school had dragged by, and 'warm greetings' home still continued. It had been at least a week and a half since she returned from the Enterprise. A week and a half since she saw Bones. She still remembered trying to catch a glimpse of his familiar blue uniform, but there were so many she couldn't tell if it was him or not. She lost him in the crowd, and she never saw him again. Cassandra guessed he was just as busy on earth as he was in space. Ever since StarFleet officers guided her away from him and back home, they both went separate ways without a goodbye. She knew she was never going to see him again, so part of her missed him. Cassandra missed the kindness she had seen on the Enterprise. Back at Earth, people at school made fun of her new haircut and teased her about her scars from the explosion.

"You'll never find a family with those ugly marks, and especially with that haircut."
That was one of the most common remarks from her bullies, besides knocking her books out of her arms in the hallway. Tears welded in her eyes as she starred up at the light brown ceiling.

"CASSANDRA! GO TAKE OUT THE TRASH!" A lady yelled from downstairs. Cassandra sighed as she heard the caretaker of the orphanage shout an order. The bed groaned once more as she got up and walked down the stairs, grabbing her blue hoodie, which was spotted with holes and tears along the back and arms.

"Be back quickly, it looks like it wants to rain again." The woman said as Cassandra picked up the three bags of garbage.

As Cassandra walked out of the orphanage and to the trash around the corner, people from school happened to walk by.

"Hey look, it's Carter!" They shouted. That was the nickname they gave her for  her boyish haircut. Cassandra tried to ignore it as she tossed the bags into the trash, but someone pushed her down to the wet pavement. Grime and dirt clung to her face once it slammed into the ground. When Cassandra turned her head around, she saw the group of four she normally got insults from. Two boys, two girls. They spat out more insults while Cassandra tried to get up, but she was pushed down again, this time in a small puddle of water siting nearby. Before they could do more, she heard someone shout. Footsteps followed after along with the sound of thunder roaring in the distance. Not long after, rain poured down in buckets. Cassandra sighed as the rain drenched her in an instant. As she tried to get up, someone helped. When she turned her head, she saw a teen who looked around her age. His bright sea green eyes shined back at her while his blonde hair began to hang down from the rain.

"Are you alright?" He asked. Cassandra nodded. Shivers began to creep up on her as a cool breeze flew in the rain. The teen noticed and unwrapped his dark green scarf from his neck.

"Here." He said while wrapping it loosely around her neck. "You need it more than I do."

Cassandra looked at him in shock. He replied with a chuckle.

"And you might want to wipe off the dirt from your face." He said before he turned around and walked swiftly away. It took several minutes before Cassandra could process what had happened. Someone helped her. Someone chased off the bullies. No one had done that before,
not until now.

The sound of the lady shouting for Cassandra to come in snapped her out of her thoughts. Cassandra's wet shoes patted against the wood floor as she walked in the orphanage. The woman sighed as she saw the drenched girl.

"They did it again?" She asked. Cassandra nodded. The lady sighed and pointed upstairs.

"Go get cleaned up. Someone's here to see you." She ordered. Cassandra gave her a confused look.