Chapter 18- Falling

A bright burst of light exploded from the shuttle's window. The darkness ran away from inside of the ship. Glass and flames poured into the shuttle as it began plummeting to the earth. The feeling of fire grabbing Cassandra's arm sent a scream out of her lips. Her stomach churned at the feeling of being weightless. Bright lights exploded outside like fireworks. She starred at the floating pieces of glass hang in the air. It didn't really look like falling because everything looked like it was frozen in time. As the fear began spreading in her thoughts, she shut her eyes and told herself this was just a dream. That she'd wake up in a hospital bed in MedBay because she hit her head or something and this was all a bad dream. The glass pecking at her face made that thought melt away.
No, I'm here to help. I'm here to help the Captain. She told herself. If I want to be a medical officer, I have to be brave. She took a deep breath in and out of her nose, then opened her eyes. The fact that she didn't know how to use the elaborate buttons before her made her frown a bit.
Kirk yanked his steering wheel towards him, hoping the shuttle would land and not crash into the ground and smash all of them. The shuttle obeyed and skidded like a skipping stone into the dark woods behind the creatures' village.  Cassandra's seatbelt yanked her back as the shuttle came to an abrupt halt.Kirk rested his head back against the seat and sighed.
"You guys alright?" He asked as he turned his head to his right and left. Spock was nearly unconscious and Cassandra was breathing heavy. small cuts covered all of their faces. Cassandra sighed in relief as she unbuckled her seatbelt from the chair. When she stood up, her hands and legs were shaking.
"What happened?" She asked the Captain.
"They must of shot us down." He replied. "Probably used bombs."
"Kirk! Are you alright?" Kirk heard Sulu's voice question from his communicator.
"We're fine. Sulu you need to find a way to beam us back up. Our shuttle just crash landed." Kirk replied.
"Just stay still, we're getting a lock on all of you." Just as the sentence escaped the communicator, loud noises echoed from outside. Cassandra's eyes widened.
"They found us already." She whispered. Kirk looked at her in shock as she grabbed his phaser and began walking.
"Sulu just said don't move." He whispered after her. She turned around and looked at him.
"The beaming process will just give the aliens time to capture us, I'll distract them while you and Mr. Spock are beamed back." She replied. Kirk's eyes grew wide. He frowned. By the sounds of the creatures calls, he knew they were very close. Cassandra was right.
"And besides, Mr. Spock needs to go to MedBay right now." She added. Tears began to form as she saw small yellow lights begin to circle Kirk and Spock. She didn't want to stay on this planet. It scared her greatly, but she knew that the Captain needed to be back on the bridge and Mr. Spock needed to be in MedBay.
"Tell Cassandra to stop moving! We can't get a lock!" Sulu ordered from the communicator.
"We'll get you beamed back as well." Kirk assured her before she kicked open the door and ran out, shooting her phaser in the alien's direction. Cassandra whimpered quietly in fear as she heard the aliens follow close behind her. The forest seemed to go on forever as she ran. Fear began slipping into her mind and she began to slow down. Her legs burned from the running and her lungs felt like they were at the brink of popping. The more she ran, the more it felt like she was running with metal boots. The trees flying by her seemed to slow down the more she bolted by them. Cassandra gasped as she felt her foot get caught in a tree root. She felt the dirt slam against her cheek as she collided with the ground. As she tried to scramble back on her feet, something grabbed her ponytail. She screamed as she was lifted off the ground. The creature began to walk back to his group as Cassandra pulled out her medical scissors. While the creature wasn't looking, she began to cut away her ponytail. Once the last hair was cut, she plummeted to the ground. She got back on her feet and began running the opposite direction. The creature roared from behind and began to chase her again. She immediately  ducked under an uprooted tree and hid in its tangled roots. The creature passed by the tree, completely unaware she was hiding in it. It continued searching for her until it gave up and headed back to it's group.  Cassandra sighed silently in relief. Her heartbeat continued to pound in her ears and she leaned against the tree. She closed her eyes and began to relax. The hair brushing against her cheek irritated her as she relaxed. How short had she cut it? When she ran her fingers through her hair, she realized she cut it fairly short. It only reached down to her chin. There was no way she could stand anything with her hair in the way. She couldn't put in a ponytail and it would probably  never stay behind her ear. Cassandra sighed and grabbed her scissors she had dropped beside her. She grabbed a small batch of hair and cut it very close to her head. Batch by batch, her short hair became even shorter. Once she was done, she ran her hand through her hair again. There was no length in it what so ever. Instead of being down about it, she began to think of how easy it would be to get up in the morning. She wouldn't have to brush it so often and tangles wouldn't be a problem. She gave a soft smile at the thought of it.
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Kirk saw Bones run in as Spock and him were beamed back aboard.
"Cassandra!" He called out. Kirk could see fear began to flood in his best friend's eyes once he saw she wasn't there.
"Where is she?" Bones questioned.
"She's still down at the planet." Kirk sighed. Terror began to show in the man's expression once he finished. Kirk frowned. Even when he saw Bones help Spock to MedBay, he knew he was extremely worried about Cassandra. Kirk could see his worry flicker here and there in his expression. Once Spock was bandaged up and alright, Kirk began to head back to the bridge, but before he did, he glanced at Bones and paused. As Bones was working on paperwork, he would look at Cassandra'a pet tribble. The look he gave it was very familiar to Kirk.
It was the look a father gave when he longed to see his child.
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
As Cassandra sat there under the protection of the tree, she saw small lights began to circle her. She gasped and smiled. As the lights grew brighter, something grabbed her leg.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Author's Note: Oh my gosh you guys, I'm almost at a 1,000 reads! :D YAY!!!

but ya, so basically,Cassandra's hair looks like Fantine's hair now. It looks like this(points to the right)