Chapter 5- Fighting for Courage

Cassandra watched as the bare white walls exploded into reds and oranges. There was a bright light that blinded her. The colors red, orange, and yellow danced in it's glow. Pain lashed it's tongue at her left arm and her left side. The pain warmed her. It spread through her back and across her face. The world around her had fallen silent. There was only ringing noises in her ear along with muffled sounds. The only thing that sounded familiar to her was a muffled voice coming from her communicator. It was as if someone was trying to talk to her though a glass window. The hallways soon filled up with the remains of the ceiling. Muffled shouts and screams lingered in Cassandra's ears as she whipped her head around to see people trapped in the ruins. Her body began to shake in fear. Tears sprang up in her eyes as her throat was choked with screams and cries for help.

She was scared.

Sobs began to build up in her chest but she quickly pushed it aside as she saw people struggling to escape from the debris' grip. She had to help these people. She had to be brave. She had to push fear aside. She swallowed her screams as she pulled out her communicator and called the main deck.

"Cassandra? Cassandra! Are you ok?" She heard Captain Kirk ask. Her hearing was still bad, but she could understand what was being said.

"I'm fine. Captain you need to send people down here! There are people hurt and trapped! I'll try to help them as much as I can!" She yelled over the constant gunshots from outside the ship. 

"Cassandra-" She ended her call as she climbed over the debris and to any survivors. There were only ten people who were in the explosion. All of them were rescued by Cassandra. Many of them were caught in the debris and if it wasn't for her, they would have died. As Cassandra began crawling through the ruins and to safety, a piece of the wall fell and trapped her leg.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Kirk's cerulean blue eyes grew wide as more alerts popped up.

"Captain, they keep shooting at the damaged part of the ship." Chekov stammered. 

"Put up the ships shields and prepare for warp-" Kirk began.

"Sir, they bombed part of the-" Kirk cursed under his breath at Scotty's interruption.

"How long will it take to repair it?" He asked. Kirk heard Scotty sigh over his communicator. 

"I'd say a few weeks, not including the repair of the ship." Kirk grinned his teeth in frustration. He sighed and glared at the enemy ship. His eyes became two pools of blue fire.

"Prepare to attack the enemy ship."

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The echo of Bones' footsteps raced throughout the halls as he bolted to the medical center.

"I need everyone I can get to go help find any survivors!" He commanded as he grabbed one of his emergency bags and ran to the other side of the ship.

Hold on Cassandra, we're coming

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The fear she had pushed aside had begun to devour her as she tried to escape. Nothing would work. No matter how hard she kicked, thrashed, or pushed, she could not get out.

"Cassie? Cassie! Hang in there, Bones and his crew are almost there!" Kirk's voice assured her as she pulled out her communicator.

"Ok." she replied, her voice shaky. "Captain?"

"Yeah?"

She paused at her answer.  "I'm scared."

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Kirk took in a deep breath as Cassandra stammered out those two words. He knew what it was like to fear death. He had been in death's grip once; it was only by miracle Bones had saved him.

"I know, I know, but Bones is almost there, just hang in there." He replied in a comforting voice. 

"You mean Dr.McCoy." She added. Kirk chuckled at her attempt to lighten the mood. He could tell she was crying and struggling to hold back sobs. Kirk sighed.

He didn't want death to find her.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"Cassandra? Cassandra!" Someone shouted. Cassandra's eyes looked up in hope. She threw up her arm and waved frantically.

"Dr.McCoy! Dr. McCoy! Over here!" She screamed through her sobs. She could hear him calling. As she held her hand up to signify she was there, she felt another hand latch onto hers

"Give me your other hand! I'll pull you out!" 
"It's no use. I'm stuck." Cassandra replied. Bones climbed down into the debris to find Cassandra's  leg trapped underneath the ruins. As he lifted the debris, Cassandra scrambled out and to the top on the ruins. As they crawled to safety, Cassandra's body became tired and sore. A burning pain spread from her side and a bit across her abdomen. When she reached to touch her side, her fingers came back painted a maroon red. 

"Dr.McCoy..." She stammered as she began falling to the floor.

"Cassie!" He exclaimed. Her world began growing dark as Bones picked her up bridal style and carried her to a gurney.

"Hang in there Cassie, we're almost there. Don't pass out on me..." She heard Bones say as he helped push the bed. The ringing of the wheels from the gurney began to grow silent as Bones' face grew blurry. Cassandra tried to stay up, but the darkness began to pull her in. She felt her hand being squeezed as the world faded to black.