Chapter 24- Something You Can't Replace

"Tears stream down your face, when you lose something you cannot replace.." -Fix You by Coldplay

*~*~*~*~*~

A scream clung in the inside of Cassandra's throat as she saw Bones collapse to the ground. As the light brightened, she saw an alien from behind Bones collapse behind him. It looked like Bones was fighting with the creature. Before she could react fast enough, her vision was blinded by the lights of the beaming process. As the world began to fade back to normal,and once the beaming  process was finished, she raced to his side. Cassandra's heart plummeted to the ground as she saw his eyes stare off into a different world. She had seen that gaze before. Her father wore that gaze when he died.

"No no no. Please, don't die...Please don't..." Cassandra murmured as she shook his lifeless body. Tears streamed down her face as she pressed her head against his chest, only to find no heartbeat.

"GET HIM TO MEDBAY!" She roared as she turned to Kirk, who was wide eyed. He stood their in terror as he saw his friend dead on the floor. By the time his thoughts subsided, the nurses had already raced over with a gurney. Cassandra helped put Bones' body on the gurney and lead it to MedBay. Her shoes pounded against the silver tile as she ran.

Please don't be dead...Please don't be dead.... She whispered in her mind, though she didn't know why. She already knew he was dead....but there was still hope, maybe a defibrillator would work. Even so, her heart still  felt like it had been stabbed. The sight of his hazel eyes starring into a world she couldn't see made her eyes fill up with more tears. She remembered her father's tree brown eyes being the same way when he died....

As Cassandra and the nurses burst into MedBay, the other medical officers were already scrambling everywhere, trying to prepare to operate on anyone, but they weren't expecting the Chief Medical Officer. Cassandra tried to help as one of the other doctor's prepared the defibrillator. Bones' body jolted from the electricity being sent though it once the machine was slammed against his chest. His eyes were sealed shut from the muscles spazzing out everywhere in his body. After a few attempts, the doctors saw no hope for starting his heart again. The machine wasn't working. Normally it would, but it wasn't this time. The doctor frowned and sighed. He shook his head at the other nurses, who responded by looking down in sadness. Cassandra's eyes widened.

"Try again!" She shouted as she ran up the doctor. "You have to try again!"

The doctor replied with a shake of his head. "He's gone..."

Cassandra's vision began to blur as she turned to the hospital bed Bones was lying on. Feelings she had felt before 9 years ago boiled back up in her heart. She shook his shoulder roughly.

"Wake up. Wake up..." She murmured. "Wake up....."

Nothing was working.

"You have to wake up..." Cassandra choked out as sobs began to build up in her throat.  "You can't die...You just can't."

Someone placed their hands on her shoulders and began to guide her backwards. The nurses started turning off all the equipment attached to Bones while she was guided back.

"NO!" She shouted, leaping forward, but someone grabbed her arm and yanked her back.

"NO! Don't do that! He could be alive! Save him! Save him!" She shouted while whipping her head around to see Kirk hold her back. His eyes were glassy as he shook his head. As Cassandra turned her head back to Bones' body, something caught her eye. The wand that the aliens had torched her with was in his hand.

"Wait! Wait!" She shouted, but no one listened. Kirk still tried to hold her back. She reached her hand out to Bones, trying to grab his wrist.

She had been here before.....

Cassandra remembered how she couldn't do anything when the nurses carried her out of her father's hospital room. She couldn't help him... She reached out to him the same way....only he never reached back because he was gone as well....

She was reliving that moment....

Kirk frowned as he tried to hold Cassandra back. There was nothing they could do.  His friend was gone. Gone forever. The doctors hung their head in sorrow as the nurses began cleaning up the tools they had prepared. Nothing was going to work.
As Cassandra tried to break free, sobs racked her body. She called his name, but his eyes didn't flicker open in response. Tears poured down her cheeks as she cried out.

"Wait! Wait please!" She screamed. Kirk grabbed her other shoulder, making her face him.

"He's gone Cassandra...There's nothing we can do." Kirk sighed. Cassandra starred up at him with tear stained eyes.

"You don't understand! We can save him-!"

Kirk shook his head as Cassandra tried to explain.  More tears flooded her eyes.

"You have to believe me-" She began.

"Cassandra, he's gone."  Kirk's voice cracked at the end of his sentence. He tried to pull her into a hug, but she responded by trying to break free and run back to Bones' side.

Spock had gotten up from his hospital bed to see what all the commotion was about, but one look at Cassandra sobbing at the sight of the Chief Medical Officer's limp body explained everything. He looked to Kirk who frowned at him. Spock closed his eyes and looked down to the floor. He sighed.

Leonard McCoy was dead.