Chapter 3-Tribbles and Chekov

The stars in front of them seemed to turn into a light tunnel as Cassandra  pushed the lever.It  looked like it was blinking towards the direction they were headed, as if to say 'go this way! Go this way!'
Once they hit their destination, the light tunnel full of light blues, yellows and whites faded away back into small specks.

"Come on Cassie." Cassandra heard Bones call out. She turned around to see him heading for the elevator. Cassandra waved bye to Chekov as she caught up with Bones.

"Coming." She called out as she ran into the elevator with him. Once they reached the medical center, Bones threw Cassandra a light grey long-sleeve shirt.

"You've gotta wear this." He said. "That T-Shirt won't cut it." Cassandra looked down at her dark grey shirt designed with her school's logo.

"What's wrong with it?" She asked.

"Well if your going to be an assistant in the medical center people need to know that." He said. "That shirt will inform them." Cassandra nodded. When she came back from changing, she found a small round ball of fur sitting on the counter. As she walked over to it, Bones was doing something on the other counter, completely ignoring her whereabouts. When she got to the counter, the strange fur ball squeaked.

"AH!" Cassandra screamed as she stumbled backwards. Her shoe got caught in the tile as she was sent flying to the floor.

"Cassie!" Bones called out while catching her. 

"Sorry. The fuzzball scared me." Cassandra chuckled as she found her footing. Bones looked at the ball of fur.

"What? The Tribble?" He questioned.

"That's what it's called?"

"You didn't know that? I thought your school taught you that."

"My school teaches me about injures, medications and operations, not animal species." Cassandra replied. Bones sighed and walked over to the Tribble. He grabbed it and held it out to her. She hesitated. 

"Don't worry, It doesn't bite." Bones chuckled. Cassandra looked at him, then at the creature. She finally held out her hands to hold it. When Bones placed the tribble in her hands, it began purring. 

"Looks like he likes you." he laughed. Cassandra smiled and hugged the tribble. 

"It's so cute!" She exclaimed. Bones laughed as she began petting it. 

"Can I keep it?" She asked as she looked up at him with puppy eyes. Bones sighed and shook his head.

"Please! I'll take care of him! I'll feed it-"

"NO! Don't you DARE feed it!" Bones interrupted. Cassandra gave him a confused look.

"Why?" Cassandra questioned.

"They reproduce faster when they eat."

"But how can they reproduce without a-?"

 Bones looked at her strangely. "How do you know this stuff?"

"I am in Medical school. I'm required to know this stuff!" Bones sighed at Cassandra's reply. 

"Anyways, we won't have anything major to do, so you can just wander." Bones said, switching subjects.  Cassandra nodded and headed out, secretly taking the tribble with her.

"Just don't go to far! I don't want you getting lost!" Bones called out after her. Cassandra turned around and nodded her head. 
As Cassandra roamed the snow white hallways, she found someone roaming as well. 

"Chekov!" She called out. The blonde haired boy smiled as he turned around to see her.

"Cassie!" He exclaimed. She ran to him and held out the tribble.

"Look what Dr. McCoy had in the medical center." She said. Chekov took the creature and petted it.

"Ah. A tribble. Be careful though, Captain Kirk doesn't necessarily like them." He said.

"Why?"

"Well...Lets just say someone brought in one, then next thing you know, there were millions on the ship. Ever since then, the Captain hasn't been very fond of them." Chekov explained while giving the tribble back to Cassandra. She looked down at the creature and gave a bewildered look.

"But they're so cute." She added.

"Well it's not very cute when their are so many of them that the whole main deck is filled. Captain Kirk kept sitting on them when he would sit in the Commanders chair." Cassandra laughed at Chekov's reply.

"Aw, those poor tribbles!" She added. Chekov laughed.  As they roamed the ship, they continued to talk. They talked about the ship and all the adventures she had. Cassandra was amazed by them. Stories always fascinated her. She remembered when her father would tell her stories of the other ships that soared in the sky. She wished he could see her now. 

"Woah! Is it me, or does this hallway look like a good place to race?" Cassandra exclaimed when she got to a certain hallway. It didn't look busy like the others. Before Chekov could react, Cassandra tapped his shoulder and ran forward.

"TAG!!" She shouted.

"Cassie! We can't do this here!" Chekov yelled as he ran after her. Cassandra laughed as they raced down the hallway. 

"Cassandra!" Chekov called out. Before he could catch up to her, she had began to turn around. She grabbed his arm and ran the opposite direction.

"Run!" She whispered. Chekov looked in the direction Cassandra was running from to see Spock.

"Cassandra! Chekov!" Return to your posts at once!" He called out. Chekov panicked and ran with her.
As Spock tried to call out again, Kirk patted his shoulder.

"Relax Spock, they're just having a little fun." He chuckled. Spock sighed and began walking back to the main deck. 

"Did we loose them?" Cassandra whispered as Chekov and her hid behind a wall.

"I don't even know if he chased after us." Chekov replied.  Cassandra looked at him.

"Is that good....or bad?"

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"So I heard you were nearly caught by Spock." Bones chuckled as he showed Cassandra how to use a set of tools spread out before them. Cassandra stayed quiet as she studied the tools.

"I'm sure the Captain will let you guys off the hook." He added.

"You think so?" She asked.

"Think so? I know so!"

"How?"  Cassandra sighed as she looked down in shame. Bones chuckled as he placed his hand on her shoulder.

"Because it's something he would do."