Chapter 8- A broken heart and a blue cupcake

author's note: This chapter may be a bit confusing but just know that the italicized talking is from Cassandra's past. She's remembering what a person said to her.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Later that day, when Bones entered the medical center, he found Cassandra fast asleep. He sighed in relief as he checked her monitor. She was going to be alright. As he began unwrapping her arm, she jolted awake from the pain. Her tree brown eyes shot open and grew glassy.

"Sorry, I just need to change out your bandages." He added as he continued to unravel the bandages. Cassandra's heart sank as she saw her skin a bright red. The burn reached from her elbow to her wrist.

"Will it leave a scar?" She questioned. Bones nodded. Cassandra frowned slightly, fighting back tears. She tried to focus on her wound more than the clock.

"Come on, sit up." Bones commented as Cassandra sat up from her hospital bed.

"Do you want to do it this time?" He asked while holding the medical tape out to her. She nodded. Cassandra lifted her shirt halfway to see bandages covering her abdomen. When she unwrapped them, she flinched in pain. This burn hurt a lot more than the one on her arm.

"It's gonna hurt for the next few days." Bones said as Cassandra began re-wrapping her injury with new bandages. Before she finished, she saw deep gashes on her side. As she studied it, she remembered how a piece of debris smashed into her.

"How much blood did I lose?"  she questioned.

" A lot. I didn't think those cuts were that deep til' I cleaned them. Some people from the ship were generous enough to donate some blood to you."

"Tell them I said thanks." Cassandra replied while forcing herself to smile. She truly was grateful people donated blood to her,

but today wasn't a day for smiling.

"Can I get out of bed today?" Cassandra asked.

"Sure. Just don't be up for too long. Your body is still shaken from yesterday's events. You need to rest."

"Alright." Cassandra said while nodding. As she began to pet the tribble she had with her, Bones asked her a question.

"Is today your birthday?"

Cassandra's eyes grew wide as they flooded with tears. She struggled to keep them from falling. "Where'd you hear that?"

"I saw it when I looked at your file for your blood type. Your turning fifteen right?" She focused on the tribble instead of his eyes.

"Yeah." Right as she replied, the Captain walked in.

"How's our birthday girl doing?" He laughed as he patted Bones on the back. Bones rolled his eyes.

"the Captain and I asked the cafeteria staff to make you this." He added as Kirk held out a small cupcake he had hidden behind his back. The cupcake was topped with snow white icing, blue sprinkles, and a single blue candle.

"I know it's not much, but I wanted to get you something." Bones chuckled as Cassandra took the pastry.

"I know it's not much, but I had to get something for my little girl."

"It's alright." Cassandra replied.

"Happy Birthday Cassie." Kirk chuckled as he messed up her hair.

Tears began sliding down her face. She shut her eyes and took in a deep breath.

"Cassie?" Bones questioned. She opened her eyes to see him and Kirk staring at her with worried expressions.

"I really appreciate this you guys....." Her voice began to shake.

"But..." More tears fell as she tried to finish the sentence.

"I'm really gonna miss you Cassie, but always know we'll meet again."

"But..."

"I'll see you in the stars."

Tears began pouring down as she got up and ran out of the center. Bones called after her but she didn't slow down until she got to her room. She flung herself onto her bed and buried her face in her pillow.

"I'll see you in the stars."