Chapter 14- Creatures and Stars

Authors note: I dedicate this chapter to VulcanLife because she has supported me throughout my continuing journey with this book and I really appreciate it :) Her comments really mean a lot to me.

(I'll [Somewhat] explain why I chose this song for [part] of this chapter afterwards)

enjoy!

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Two days later……

What is that? Kirk questioned himself as a dark blue spot began to grow when they continued on their patrolling path.

“Captain, there seems to be a planet up ahead.” Chekov’s voice broke the silence.

“Give a report.” Kirk ordered.

“The planet can sustain human life. It has water, oxygen…” Chekov trailed off as alerts began to pop up on his monitor.

“Captain, I’m getting strange readings…” Chekov began while turning around to face him. “…of intelligent life.”

“I’m sure it’s more humans Chekov.”

“Sir, these readings don’t match up with humans.” Chekov added, his voice slightly hinting he was worried. “It’s a species we’ve never encountered before.” Kirk’s cerulean blue eyes widened.

“Sir, they’ve sent missiles at us.” Sulu reported.

“Fire at incoming missiles.” Kirk ordered. Four missiles were sent flying at them. Three of them were blown up, but one slithered out of their reach and hit the ship. A low rumbling sound echoed throughout the Enterprise as it shook slightly.

“Scotty, how bad is the damage?” Kirk questioned as he pulled out his communicator. There was no reply. All he heard was coughing and static. Before he could turn to the doctor, Kirk saw him bolt out of the bridge.

As Bones ran over to medbay, he saw Cassandra run out with her satchel containing a medical kit.

“Cassie!” He called out, but she didn’t hear him. She continued to rush down the hallways. Once Bones reached the engine room, he saw Cassandra run in. Smoke poured out of the entrance. There were many people rushing out with their hands over their nose and mouth. Over the noise and shouting, he heard someone call out his name. Bones ran in to find Cassandra trying to help Scotty up.

“Get him to medbay!” She said as he helped the engineer up. “I’ll go see if anybody else needs help.”

“No.” He coughed out. It was getting harder to breathe.

“I have to go help other people.” She argued.

“The nurses can do that-”

“Some people may be trapped in hard to reach areas, I can help. I’m small enough to fit through tight spaces.” She interrupted. Bones sighed.

“Fine.”

Cassandra nodded and began crawling through the spaces she mentioned. Bones frowned as he helped Mr.Scott get out of the room and on a gurney.

“I’m fine Doctor-” he began to say before he had a coughing fit. The nurses wheeled him to the medical center as Bones went back in the room. When he walked in, he saw Cassandra helping another person out. It soon became a combined effort to help the injured out. Cassandra would help them crawl out of the debris and Bones would carry them out of the room and onto a gurney.

“Is that all of them?” Bones called out to her.

“I think so.” He heard her cough back. She crawled out of the room coughing.

“Are you alright?” He asked, patting her back. She nodded and got back on her feet. On the way back, she continued to cough. Her coughing attacks would rack her body.

“I shouldn’t have let you done that.” Bones sighed. Cassandra tried to argue, but she couldn’t. Once they got to the medical center, Bones made her breathe in oxygen from a tank. Her coughing settled down as the machine she was hooked up to made her breathe out any smoke left in her lungs.

“I have to go back to the bridge. Do you think you can help bandage wounds?” Bones asked as Cassandra took off the mask that was connected to the oxygen tank. She smiled and nodded.  This was the first time Bones would let her help on her own. Normally, he would have to be right by her side or somewhere in the medical center for her to help. Now, he was letting her help without his guidance.

“I’ve asked the nurses to keep a close eye on you.” He added.

“Like I’d do anything bad.” Cassandra said while rolling her eyes. Bones shook his head and tried to hold back a smile.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

“Thanks for helping me out back there.” Scotty commented as Cassandra wrapped his left arm in a bandage. His Scottish accent was strong.

“You’re welcome.” She replied. There was a pause before he asked a question. “How is your burn doing?”

Cassandra pulled up her left sleeve to reveal a bandage.

“It’s doing better. Still hurts.” She replied with a small shrug. “So what happened back there?”

“Someone attacked us.” Scotty sighed in frustration. “Nearly destroyed the engines.”

“Is it going to be okay?” she questioned.

“Depends on how bad the damage is.”

To Scotty’s surprise, Cassandra didn’t seem disappointed.  “It's going to be a while before we can go back to Earth...Don't you miss home?”

Cassandra shook her head. “No, I actually like it up here.”

“And why is that?”

“I don’t know…” She lied. She loved it here in space. No one gave her strange looks. No one bullied her. She liked that. The people aboard the Enterprise were a lot nicer than the people back at…-Did she even consider Earth her home anymore? The stars around her felt more like home than her bed at the orphanage did.
Once Cassandra was done wrapping his wounds, she grabbed the glass tablet and checked off his name. “You are free to go Mr.Scott.” She said as she stepped aside. He got up from the chair and walked out, waving goodbye at her. She smiled and waved back. After all the patients were treated, she walked to one of the small windows in the medical center. It was a lot nicer here in space. Not just the people, but the sights as well. Cassandra was tired of seeing the same old skyscrapers or the depressing grey ground below her. Even the dark green trees and gold colored fields back at her old home seemed sad. Space, however, always had a variety of things to show. The nebulas would always put out an amazing display of light greens and blues, which were surrounded by murky brown colors. Sometimes light oranges or a dark shade of violet would encase it as well. Purple, blue, and white stars would always shine in space. If she was lucky, she’d find light pink or rose red stars. The peace and quiet she’d find sometimes while she was stargazing relaxed her. It made her sad sometimes, because she could never find this peace back at Earth.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

authors note: I don't know why, but this song(points to the right) really fits Cassandra while she's stargazing. I guess it just puts that stargazing-feel to it ^-^
What do you guys think?