Great Thanksgiving?

Amber

*The Day Before Thanksgiving*

"Okay so is this all you need?" I asked Ms. Sheila as I dropped off all the necessary grocery bag containing all the ingredients for Thanksgiving dinner.

We talked last night and had a shopping list delivered by the girls once she dropped them off before work. 

She nodded her head as she looked through all the shopping bags. "Yeah baby you got everything I need. I would've had August ass running back to the store at least 3 more times." she shook her head. I laughed to myself just imagining an aggravated August having to go back to the store more than once. I hate to admit it but I miss him and his attitude.

 "Are we doing anything today?" I asked, helping her take everything out of the bags.

"We're just going to bake the desserts tonight & prepare everything so tomorrow will go by smoothly."

"Okay. What kind of desserts are we making?" I asked.

"Traditional sweet potato pie, pecan pie, and the girls favorite red velvet cake."

"Awe. That's their favorite? I might make it for them the next time they come for their session."

"You bake?" she asked, with wide eyes. I guess August never told her that I can actually cook.

"Yes ma'am. I learned everything from my Nana Nadine." I smiled proudly. I missed my Nana but unfortunately, her and my PawPaw will be out on vacation for Thanksgiving.

"Ahh. I remember I had this friend named Nadine who made the best lemon icebox pie." she reminisced as if she could taste the pie right at this moment.

"My Nana taught me how to make a lemon icebox pie but I don't know if it'll be the same as your friends." I suggested.

"Sure. Is there much that you need?" she asked.

"No ma'am. I can run to the store to grab the ingredients while the red velvet cake is cooling down. I'll only take about 10-15. I can make it today so it can be chill and set for tomorrow."

"I'm so glad you can cook and bake too! I'm not going to lie. For a second, I thought you couldn't but I guess that's why you should assume." she smiled at me.

"Thank you." I smiled back.

"Your welcome, baby girl. While we're at it, why don't we get to know each other?" she suggested.

"That sounds like a god idea. Would you like to go first? Adults first." I said respectfully.

"Goodness, I love how manner-able and respectful you are. But it's okay. I'm pretty young as you can see." she cheesed, putting her hand on her hip. "I'm from Louisiana but I prefer Houston for several reasons. I love my family. I have 5 kids: 1 girl & 4 boys & I have 4 beautiful grandchildren. I enjoy my job even though my stubborn son is against it. I love to laugh & have fun. Small family parties and cookouts are my favorites. & I have a slight problem with my mouth, whatever I think just flows out my mouth. I think that's where August gets his smart, slick mouth from." she laughed which is true. That boy doesn't care what he says or where he says it. Everything just flows out like water.

"You have one more glorious grandchild?" If the girls are amazing, I can just imagine how wonderful the other is.

"Yes. This one is the only boy kind of like how my kids are. He's so sweet and shy unlike the girls."

"Awww. Will he be here tomorrow?" I asked.

"I hope so. My son said he would try to get here tomorrow, no promises. & hopefully the rest of my kids will make it. Now what about you?"